Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for inspiration: please send me a favorite recipe of yours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for inspiration: please send me a favorite recipe of yours

Last night I made Chef John's Mongolian Pork Chops. I've made it before but it's been a few years. It's a great recipe and the mustard sauce is amazing too.

Every once in a while, I post a recipe that I’ve received exactly zero requests for, and this gorgeous Mongolian pork chop is the most re...

Help me! I tend to make the same stuff and I'm bored with myself...

What's a favorite of yours.

Take a look at this thread, a lot of good suggestions on it. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...dinner-recipes

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I will.

#JCBBQ here's a concept I like, which is cutting a pork loin so that it lays out flat and then rolling it back up and smoking it. I haven't done this in a while, but it tends to be a direction I go when I'm bored from a culinary perspective. I do not endorse this recipe. I share it as an example of the process :-) Hope you find things to try!

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipe...fed_pork_loin/
    Last edited by mrteddyprincess; October 22, 2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I don’t really have a recipe for this, each time it’s a little bit different. But each and every time, it’s spectacular.

If you don’t have a pressure cooker, use a slow cooker (6 hours on high, 8 hours on low) or a Dutch oven (4 hours at 300 should do it).

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...eef-short-ribs

Comment

• PBCDad
        PBCDad commented
        Editing a comment
        Mosca how much of a difference do the short ribs make vs. a normal stew meat? Where we shop they don't carry short ribs so I'd have to find them and I imagine they aren't cheap.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Short ribs are MUCH more marbled, but it would be great with chuck roast.

Not sure if you want Asian or what so. I cooked this a few times and we enjoy it.

Char Siu Pork

Yield: 6-8 servings

Ingredients:
      • 8 pounds boneless pork shoulder, well-trimmed
      • 12 cloves garlic, minced
      • ½ cup fresh ginger, finely chopped
      • â…œ to ¾ cup sugar (try ½ next)
      • 2¼ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
      • 1â…› cups hoisin sauce
      • â…œ to ¾ cup honey (try ½ next)
      • ½ cup Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
      • ¾ cup soy sauce
      • â…œ cup black soy sauce
      • ¼ cup sesame oil
      • 1 teaspoon red food coloring (or beet juice)
      Preparation:
      1. Slice pork into strips about six" long and 1½" thick.
      1. Make the marinade by combining and whisking together all the other ingredients. Marinate the pork, covered, in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours, or overnight, turning the pork 2 or 3 times.
      1. Heat the smoker tot 225°F using hickory. Set a water pan on the lower grate (optional). Remove the pork from the marinate and reserve the marinate for basting.
      1. Set pork on grate leaving space between pieces. Insert a probe in a piece of the pork or two, and set the high alarm to 145°F. Meanwhile heat the reserved marinate to boiling, then keep it warm. When alarm sounds (about 45 minutes?) raise smoker temp to 300°F and baste the meat with some of the reserved marinade. Reset alarm for 165°F and cook. When alarm sounds again (another 15-30 minutes?) baste again and 1 more time for a total of 3 times. Continue cooking until temp reaches 170°F to 180°F.
      1. When the alarm sounds this last time, verify your final IT temperatures with an instant read thermometer in several pieces. When ready, remove the meat from heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes covered loosely with foil.
      1. Slice and enjoy! Traditional preparation are slices roughly pencil width. Flavor is intense so thin slices are ideal for a good crust to meat ratio per bite. Also good chopped up in fried rice.

Comment

Here' s one of my faves- my wife's Beef Noodle Stoup.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...f-noodle-stoup

Click image for larger version

Name:	stoup.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	927891

Comment

Here’s one we have enjoyed. It’s a smoked pot toast with a twist.

Mississippi Pot Roast PoBoy – Smoked Chuck Roast with Mississippi Pot Roast seasonings, turned into one delicious Pot Roast Sandwich

Comment

I made this tonight since I had so much pork loin left over from my cook over the weekend. I only used a cup (precooked) of rice but would double the sauce mixture. Was a bit bland for me. I had fun making it in my wok on the the camp stove. Plus nice not having the house smell afterwards.

We're confident our pork fried rice is as good or better than any Chinese takeout you've had. See how restaurant chefs make it with this easy recipe!

Comment

Not exactly a recipe. Take a Prime tri-tip. Dry bine for 24 hours. Put your favorite rub on. Pre-sear. Put it in the smoker for 3-3.5 hrs at no more than 225. Pull and wrap for 30 minutes (minimum) in foil. Carefully cut very, very thin against the grain. Serve with pico and/or chimichurri sauce (Cuban which substitutes Cilantro with parsley) with tortillas which have been warmed. Use the tortillas to pick the slices up from the plate - these are not tacos.

Comment

When I read your title, but before I opened the thread, I thought I would send this recipe for beef tenderloin medallions. It was interesting that the recipe you shared was also a Chef John recipe. We love this recipe and I hope you get a chance to try it.

Comment

• JCBBQ
                  JCBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I haven't tried that one. I find his recipes pretty reliable.

A favorite recipe? Well, EVERY morning I heat a little pan and add a drizzle of evoo. While that is warming I pop an English muffin into the toaster. When said toaster dings, I remove Emuff, lay a piece of cheese atop one half to warm and slightly melt, then crack an egg into the pan and cook over easy. Slide the cooked egg atop the cheese/Emuff combo, schmear a little Duke's on the other Emuff half, add a drop or three or six of hot sauce, assemble the sandwich and enjoy the repast whilst perusing the morning edition of The Pitmaster Club. West Coast edition, of course. Lately I have devolved into using egg whites only, but that is a story for another time. As dear Julia was ever so fond of saying: Bon Appetite!

Author's note: I really enjoy Chef John's recipes as well. His Marcella Hazan's Beef Bolognese is spot on and I highly recommend it: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...lognese-sauce/

Also, his Shakshuka is pretty dang good as well: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24...isMetric=false
                Last edited by CaptainMike; October 23, 2020, 06:26 AM.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                  ColonialDawg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This post is underrated. Fantastic sauce.

Butterfly a boneless chicken breast and pound it out to an even thickness. From there add an even layer of some sort of filling, then roll it all up use string or skewers to hold it closed. Some of my go to fillings include mushrooms and wild rice, Stovetop stuffing and cheese, or any kind of sausage you have on hand and some thin sliced onion. Cooking can be done in the oven, on the grill or smoker, or sous vide with sear. I prefer to wrap the skin back around the roll before cooking to help keep the meat from drying out, but it can certainly be done skinless too.

Oh.. and meatloaf. Everyday. Twice on Sunday.

Comment

I've got some great ideas! Thanks all.

Comment

Fresh ground lamb and Chuck. 50/50 mix for meatballs. Smoke them and finish them in a red sauce. Easy prep. Big flavor.

make your own sauce or use store bought
                    I only fresh grind but store bought can work
                    add heat or spice
                    more or less smoke
                    made cheese or not

use on sammich
                    on pasta
                    over crisp shredded lettuce if cutting carbs
                    open Face piled with motz under a broiler

all easy peasy with big flavor and endless combos.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                      CaptainMike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I heartily endorse this recipe.

Here is one that was discussed here a year or two back, that several made, including myself. The Korean BBQ sauce recipe is AMAZING.

Smoked pork shoulder with the sweet, spicy, and fiery flavors of Korean barbecue. Sweet, salty, spicy, fiery, with those Asian umami flavors.

It's not something I do every time I smoke a butt, but is a good variation to have in your arsenal.

Comment

• JCBBQ
                      JCBBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ooh! Right up my alley. 👊👊👊

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here