Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for ideas - grown up kids food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for ideas - grown up kids food

My wife's 40th is next Wednesday. I'm surprising her by having a few of her friends over (outdoors and distanced) for drinks and dinner. I thought a good idea for a 40th would would be to have food that celebrates youth and make grown up versions of kids food.

Here's what I have planned at the moment:
    Pigs in blankets - Italian sausage with peppers and onions wrapped in a french bread dough - based on this recipe
    Short rib mac & cheese
    Gochujang chicken fingers
    Peanut butter and jelly borekas - PB&J stuffed puffed pastry
    Loaded tater tots with cheese, bacon, sour cream and chives
    Root beer floats with a shot of bourbon

I'm doing the shopping tomorrow so I have some time to change my mind so if anyone has some other ideas, I'd love to hear them before I finalize my plan. I'll have some time to prep Thursday and Friday before cooking Saturday.

I had considered some fancy grilled cheese sandwiches, but it seems like cheese overkill with the mac and cheese.

Sounds interesting, as long as you know your wife will like all the foods listed... . Only you know that part of the equation!

I used a milk stout (beer) to make ice cream floats a few years ago, and they were delicious. The root beer + bourbon sounds really good.

Comment

• jumbo7676
      jumbo7676 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think she would prefer the root beer float, but I love a good milk stout and some of her friends would like it to. Maybe I'll have a few on hand as an option.

• MNKennicutt
      MNKennicutt commented
      Editing a comment
      If you use a chocolate stout with a good dark chocolate flavor, like Young’s, the beer floats are pretty amazing

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Root beer plus bourbon IS, Indeed, very tasty...same holds true fer bourbon's Kissin Cousin, Tennessee Whiskey. I've reported such, previous like, here.
      Discovered th Root Beer thing C. 1978, when I was finishin a shift at Country Kitchen, an went to pour me a fountain Coke, to mix with my (then) omnipresent bottle of JDB...no dice, so used Root Beer, instead....

That sounds like a great menu...love the idea! Thanks for making the rest of us look bad

Comment

• jumbo7676
      jumbo7676 commented
      Editing a comment
      All I've done is plan a menu. Haven't cooked a thing yet. Still plenty of time to make myself look bad.

Sounds like you've got it covered.

Comment

What time do you want me there? 🤣😃. Sounds delicious. Great idea!

Comment

Sounds deelish mate, don't forget the pics

Comment

Sounds great. A few complementary ideas:

If you want to mix up the tater tots, I highly recommend putting frozen tots in a waffle iron. Gets crazy crispy and you can serve each person a square (or triangle) topped with your loaded toppings.

ive also done pigs in blankets with andouille sausage. Smear some spicy mustard on puff pastry and roll around the sausage.
          Last edited by shify; October 20, 2020, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Great fun idea! I'm just wondering how you stuff all of that inside a tater tot?

Comment

Am i the only one that when reading "Looking for ideas-grown up kids food" had marijuana brownies come to mind?

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes - its just you, haha!

Not an option back here in the Southeast.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here