Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket and Chicken Skin.....Healthy? What the Hell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket and Chicken Skin.....Healthy? What the Hell?

CaptainMike Our brother who recently had a heart scare got me to thinking. Everyone thinks after a heart attack you’ve got to eat nothing but boneless skinless chicken breasts and kale. I did as well after my heart attack 5 years ago. As always, in moderation is usually ok. But....get this, brisket and the fat it has, is actually good for you! And so is chicken skin! Go figure. I remembered Texas A&M did a study several years ago on the healthiness of brisket. Check it out. Then....cook more brisket damnit! https://www.wideopencountry.com
    Last edited by Panhead John; October 19, 2020, 07:22 PM.

Check this out also. https://www.insider.com/eating-chick...for-you-2017-9

Comment

Then I guess I will live forever then....
      👍👏🎉

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Damnit Jfrosty27 I wanted you to leave me your stereo and speakers!

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha! 🤣😂
        Sorry. Those go to my son. 🤷‍♂️

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        But...but.....I thought I was your son....Dad.

Wagyu fat is heart healthy, so I guess you just need to pony up for better brisket.

Comment

Now I really have to work on getting brisket right. Hey, if I keep practicing on chuckies, does that count too? I mean, it's like practicing for a big game, right?

Comment

There are few things more complicated and difficult to understand and test than how foods affect us long term.

Anyone who claims to know is probably full of whatever they are trying to sell you that think you should be eating.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, so you've met Panhead John!

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            My involvement in the scientific studies done at Texas A&M was extremely limited.

• Beefchop
            Beefchop commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree 100%. We don't know as much as we think we do, and it's probable that we don't all respond to food the same way.

The notion that eating fat and red meat leads to clogged arteries and the food pyramid that the American Heart Association got squarely behind for decades was based on the results of a study done in the 1950's. The study was riddled with design flaws, among which was that the participants were not randomly selected. Every attempt at replicating the study results with randomly selected samples failed. Even today, about 10 years after Time Magazine did a cover story on the flawed study, doctors are giving dietary advice based on the bogus results.

Comment

Meathead has a few articles that touch on the flawed studies and misinformation out there, even from "trusted sources".

The World Health Organization (WHO) report on the healthfulness of processed meat is problematic and media coverage has sensationalized and oversimplified the facts, sending a very misleading message.

The world is full of conflicting advice about food, nutrition, and dietary recommendations. Doctors, nutritionists, government organizations, and consumer watchdog groups can't seem to agree on a single course of action for people who want to eat healthfully. Here's how to make sense of it all.

Hundreds of thousands of Americans alone are sickened every year by their food, and some even die. Thousands more are hurt by knives, wire brush bristles stuck to meat, burns and other hazards around the grill. Here's an overview of the hazards and how to reduce the risk

Despite their bad press, oils and fats are essential to support life. Your body needs them. And it is almost impossible to cook well without them. Find out all about different vegetable oils and animal fats, how to cook with them, and how to use them healthfully.

Are you concerned about the healthfulness of grilling? This article answers the question "Is there a cancer risk in grilling meat?" Find out all about HCAs, PAHs, and the general health aspects of consuming smoked and grilled food.

Get the facts about corn syrup and health. There are many types of corn syrups and they have been the subject of much debate in discussions of food and health. Here is the truth.

Just put into practice common sense. All things in moderation. Be active. Don't sit on your couch all day every day eating fried chicken and brownies. Don't assume your appetite is the authority, it can be and often is dead wrong. Move around, use your muscles, exercise, and if you do fat won't hurt you unless your doctor has specific advice for you and your situation of course- in fact you can lose weight eating higher fat diets. You can also gain weight being a vegetarian or vegan if you don't do what your body needs. Intake (eating) needs to match output (actual nutritional needs and energy consumption from exercise, etc), as a general rule.

Comment

I think this line was in a movie? "It's not the food that's killing us, it's what the food is being fed". Goes for all types of food.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Polluted air going in our veggies means even our veggies won't help us live forever.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here