Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foods you hated as a kid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foods you hated as a kid.

I was a very picky eater as a kid, and ,unfortunately, it has carried over as an adult, (although it has gotten better). I always thought turnip greens smelled wonderful, but tasted awful. Since they smelled so good, I'd take a bite and shiver with disgust. Relatives would laugh at me, but it worked because one day they just tasted great, and I love them now.

What food(s) did you hate as a kid and love, (or like ), now?

Or vise versa...

Vegetables.

now I eat salad.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      You kidding me. You’re like Mikey. You liked everything. 😂😂😂

• gmascolo51
      gmascolo51 commented
      Editing a comment
      To quote John Pinette, " my nutritionist said how about steamed vegetables that’s heated salad I don’t want that either" lol

Mushrooms. I do enjoy them now!

Comment

• Loren
      Loren commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup...I used to think mushrooms were grody, now I like them a lot.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny. I liked mushrooms when I was younger. But not for the taste. 🤔😳
      Still don’t like the taste. 😁

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't remember ever seeing a mushroom on the table as a kid.

Also fish. Slowly I’m getting better on this. That said when given the option to order steak or a lobster I’m going steak 🥩 every time.

Comment

Canned spinach. My ma was not a very good cook. She was not at her mothers side when cookin was goin on. Lots of canned vegetables & spinach was the most memorable. Wonder if they still make it.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Somewhere there is a Popeye joke here....oh yes, your avatar!

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Any canned veggie. I too grew up on them. Can't stand walking by them in the grocery aisle.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess that I was fortunate then. Both my parents were raised on farms and we always had a garden. Fresh or home canned always...
        And I eat more different veggies now 'cause my parents did not grow some types of veggies.

liver. my mother just cooked it all week! wife grandfather got me hooked by cooking it (deer liver)1 min a side on high heat.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Love liver and onions lightly cooked as you describe. Yum.

• Mark V
        Mark V commented
        Editing a comment
        Mom overcooked the beef liver, but it wasn't bad. I like it cooked right now. She made chicken livers that I loved and can't come close to!

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        I hated liver as a kid & I still can't eat it.

My mom was a great cook for some things, just terrible for others. One of the bad ones when I was a kid was pork chop suey. She used what had to be the cheapest, fattiest, crappy cut of pork on earth. Then she would cook the crap out of it so the vegetables were pure mush. The result was simply awful. So for years and years I swore I didn’t like Chinese food. Then when I was in my early 20’s I was introduced to quality Chinese eats. A revelation. I have loved it since.

Comment

Kidneys, I hate kidneys. I hate kidneys, I hate kidneys!

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          So, I was wonderin, what do ya think about kidneys. 🕶

What I do not understand, people who will not eat tongue as it comes from a cows mouth, but will eat eggs.
        go figure.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          Beef tongue is terrific. Talk about beefy flavor. I love it. Oh and I love eggs too.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Guess people figure chickens keep there butts extra clean where as you never know where a cows tongue has been.

• Mark V
          Mark V commented
          Editing a comment
          Last week I made beef tongue for the first time in my life. I can't say I will make it again.
          Not for me.

All vegetables. I was 40 before voluntarily eating a salad.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          Always loved veggies. Any kind, any way.

Raw Cheese. It has taken over 50 years for me to eat a chunk of raw cheese. Not talking American. I still won't try that raw, but the stinky stuff... Gawsh, I can't get enough of it now! Turnip greens? Not sure what your problem is. Makes me think differently of you now!

Comment

Peas and turnips....like to find out who invented those!

Comment

Peas and asparagus, my Mom would not let me leave the table until my plate was clean. Somehow she always found out when she washed my clothes. Still don’t care for peas much unless it’s split pea soup. Love asparagus.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              RonB +1 on asparagus, brush with olive oil and lemon juice, S&P and onto the BBQ
              Brussel Sprout's are an aquired taste, fried up in butter and sliced n cubed bacon YES

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m with you SMOKIN fool. Asparagus tossed in oil/S&o, and garlic on the grill. Oh yeah. I do sprouts with the same oil etc toss and a touch of balsamic vinegar. In the smoker until tender. Yum.

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              I too tried to hid my veggie in my clothes. Usually got caught though. The wet spot!

Beets. Didn’t like them as a kid, still don’t like them. Same thing with lima beans.
            Last edited by rodkeary; October 19, 2020, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm with ya!

Lima beans and ham!!!!
            My Mom and Dad believed any kind of meat with ANY sign of juice left in it was RAW!!!
            My Grandma was an awesome cook.
            Liver and onions in a white sauce was her specialty!

Last edited by Cheef; October 19, 2020, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• Mark V
              Mark V commented
              Editing a comment
              Lima beans are ok with something else, by themselves they are not so good!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here