Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanksgiving a special time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanksgiving a special time

In preparation for Thanksgiving (my wife favorite holiday) We normally have 20 or more over. We practice food safety in doing all the cooking. This year not wanting to cancel. I came up with some new guide lines', rules' I guess. We do have 7 over nite guest for a few days. Feel free to chime in if you see something I missed. Thanks in advance to my BBQ friends. I'll e-mail this list to all attending in advance. so everyone knows the rules and have a safe Thanksgiving for everyone.

1. Everyone must wash there hands, don't forget the thumbs. Paper towels will be in all the bathrooms instead of wash cloth's.
    2. If you are sick please stay home.
    3. No hugs - sorry
    4. Dessert's will be already cut a on a plate, No cutting into your favorite pie.
    5. If you go back for second's (encouraged) get a clean plate, we have plenty of plates.
    6. If you touch a dinner roll, or any other food put it on your plate. Do not put it back
    7. Extra table's and chairs will be provided, to maintain distance. family's will sit together.
    8. Please try an keep distance from each other.
    9. Plenty of beer, wine and drinks will be in the garage frig. No sharing of drinks.

Unless your gathering is outside, it is most likely ill advised (pun not intended). Even if it is outside your bathrooms are not, so there is a danger there.

Dr. Fauci is recommending against these gatherings. Any close quarters gatherings especially indoors. The only thing that could safeguard everyone is to have large air changes with outside air.

Sorry, I did not want to rain on your parade.
    Last edited by lostclusters; October 15, 2020, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, if you want to ignore the facts, be my guest. Just don't expect sympathy if you play Russian roulette with a virus and lose. All of the states that did as you advocate have higher rates of infections (cases/million people) than states that have been more cautious.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      The key metric, actually, is Case Fatalities ..... Infections, whether gross or per capita, is a proxy, at best for what matters.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Sad to say, but the wife and I vetoed getting together with my 2 kids and their SO's just last week. Haven't seen them since before the nasty thing appeared. But I can't be taking chances given the state of my immune system. Since they're both out-of-state, it's good to err on the side of caution for them too.

Considering your state's infection rates, requirements for public and private gatherings, etc .... I think you have put together something very reasonable that probably goes a bit beyond the minimums

Comment

• randy56
      randy56 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, We are coming upon the time of year for family gathering's something everyone should be thinking about. either attending or hosting. Or Not.

With no ill intent but we've told everyone that we are having our Thanksgiving as we always do. We ask that if you are sick please stay home or if your not comfortable attending our celebration that's great and understood. It will be a gathering of 20-25 people and the kids will play and the adults will gossip just like we always do.

Comment

• randy56
      randy56 commented
      Editing a comment
      I see we do not live that far apart. can not believe those adult will gossip like that. Telling joke and such. Good for you and your family.

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      randy56 yea we spend a fair amount of time in Evansville. That’s the Costco I shop at.

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      Dadof3Illinois common sense measures.
      We can't hide forever.

Being in NY and literally 4 miles from a "red zone" now. Please stay safe.
    My family, only 10 of us, is just waiting to see what the next few weeks bring before making a decision on weather or not to get together.
    some of us are constantly in contact with the public.
    Crazy times.

Comment

• randy56
      randy56 commented
      Editing a comment
      The fact that some of yours is in constant contact, make it questionable, living where you do.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly randy56 It really kinda sucks that we may have to postpone/cancel our holidays.

With Wisconsin being a total joke in terms of any Covid plan or Preventative action, my wife and I decided to forego any family gatherings until things change drastically. A real shame too. We always hosted the big Christmas gathering (40-50) and always have a blast. Thanksgiving has been smaller family dinners, but 10-12 people still. Again, always fun. (Sigh). Maybe next year.

Comment

• randy56
      randy56 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure it was a hard decision, At least ya have good cheese.

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I support your decision!

/shrug. I hope everyone is safe and no one gets sick but it's precisely these kind of events that cause outbreaks. It's not the quick trip to the supermarket, it's a number of people getting together for a time, indoors. No one but a complete jerk would come if they were really sick... but it's the person who isn't symptomatic or thinks it's just a little cough that starts things. Google 'superspreader event.'

You're going to be indoors. With people talking, laughing etc - all of the stuff that people do normally. For hours.

You do you of course, but consider this - how will you feel if one person does accidentally spread COVID? If one of the people who become ill lands in the hospital? If they die? Is one Thanksgiving get together really worth that?

PS: your guidelines are ok. I'd be even more strict, but COVID is rarely spread by touching things so while the points about dinner rolls etc are nice, that's not where the risk will come from. It will come from breathing the same air as everyone else for hours. Obviously, if no one is infected, there's no risk. But what you can't control is what everyone else has done in the days leading up to the party and whether they have really stayed safe.
    Last edited by rickgregory; October 15, 2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      That's partially it for me. I'm also at risk, but I'd feel horrible if I contract it, gave it to someone else and they got very sick/died.

I get where you're coming from. I like thanksgiving a lot. But this year, I'm passing. And a group of friends has done a Xmas Eve party for 20 years. Not this year.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory - Your post is causing me to rethink our Thanksgiving plans. I will be discussing with Barbara when she gets home from work. Thanks for that sober analysis.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      So, after talking with Barbara, we decided not to go to my nephew's for Thanksgiving. We'll be staying home and cooking for the 2 of us and Barbara's mother who lives around the corner.

Mom won't let anyone into her house, so we will probably eat together on Zoom. My sister told me her and my niece specifically got tested so they could visit mom; told mom before hand and mom said "that's nice". Took the test, went home and didn't leave the house before they got the negative results. Called mom, said we are negative and coming by, mom said great, but you can't come in lol.

My personal position is that I am not attending any gatherings until I believe the virus is under control. Just me and the wifey.

I guess your precautions seem reasonable, but even with families sharing the same table, before and after dinner people will probably not stay in those groups, will they? And I would suggest monitoring the drinking; people tend to forget stuff after a couple of drinks.
    Last edited by klflowers; October 15, 2020, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• randy56
      randy56 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mom has the fear, that may be a good thing to remain with caution .

I have decided to just live life.
    Take the normal precautions and wash wash WASH hands.
    It seems there is NO DEFINITE protocol for controlling the transmission of a virus, or none that all the authorities can agree to.
    Masks? Or no Masks? Even this simple thing has differing experts opinions.
    In my own opinion America CAN'T afford to continue this hunkering down and avoiding.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      @Elton’s BBQ. I don’t believe any of the COVID numbers anymore. My mother is in a nursing home, 93% of the entire place including workers came down with the virus. 2 ladies one 96 and another 84 passed due to COVID. Oh but they were both in hospice, on respirator’s with only weeks to live due to lung cancer but since they were diagnosed with Covid they were classified as having died of the virus. So IMO the numbers are way off!!

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      @Dadof3Illinois
      Exactly!
      We can't trust the numbers.
      Even from some of the top health organizations in the world we get tainted, twisted stats.

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      @Dadof3Illinois
      Most people who become infected with SARS-CoV-2 have mild symptoms and recover completely. Some groups have an increased risk of a serious course of the disease, but even most of the risk groups develop mild symptoms.
      The risk of serious illness increases with age and underlying diseases, and men have a higher risk than women. Young people without known risk factors can also have a serious course of the disease.
      I can't argue with you when you do not believe the numbers..

Originally posted by Cheef View Post
    I have decided to just live life.
    Take the normal precautions and wash wash WASH hands.
    It seems there is NO DEFINITE protocol for controlling the transmission of a virus, or none that all the authorities can agree to.
    Masks? Or no Masks? Even this simple thing has differing experts opinions.
    In my own opinion America CAN'T afford to continue this hunkering down and avoiding.
    This simply isn't true. Public health folks seem to all agree that masks help (mostly to help keep the mask wearer from transmitting things if they are asymptomatic), washing hands is good and avoiding groups, especially indoors and especially larger groups is good.

That some politicians seem to want to ignore these things doesn't mean that they aren't valid.

As far as just living life, a) that's fine if you're in a low/very low risk group AND IF you don't come in contact with others at risk. It's not all about us, though. It's also about the people with whom we interact. As I asked above... what if you contract COVID-19, infect someone else and they get very sick/die? I'd feel terrible, particularly if I didnt do what I could to avoid it.

Frankly, if this were an outdoor get-together I'd feel differently because of the open air, and the ability to distance. But it's November and indoors. That raises the risk, and for what, really?
    Last edited by rickgregory; October 15, 2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Your phrasing is biased. I'm not 'hiding'. What's next, accusations that I'm afraid? Here's the thing - I listen to science. Not politicians. You do you, but I don't go out much. I do my shopping etc but am able to work from home. Because, well, science.

Want to get back to normal? Wear masks, minimize group activities. Getting together in large groups, especially without masks etc is risky behavior. You can reject the science all you want, but acting without a care is what continues this.
      Last edited by rickgregory; October 15, 2020, 09:28 PM.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      If everyone had followed strict protocols, we'd be closer to normal. It's because we didn't that we're here. Go look at the states with the highest cases/million people. Compare that with how fast they opened and how much. You'll see that states which opened faster and more fully have higher cases than those which didnt.

I don't see a reason to take a risk for a single holiday. And as I've said, I'd feel horrible if a gathering I hosted caused even one hospitalization, never mind a death.
      Last edited by rickgregory; October 15, 2020, 09:22 PM.

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      I am not trying to be biased and most definitely not accusing you of anything.
      You have chosen your path, and seem to want to declare it the only logical path to take.
      Covid is a roll of the dice game. you can avoid and take all the precautions you like and I am saying they will perhaps lessen your chances BUT the random will still strike in the end.
      My phrasing is most definitely not biased. It is factual.

Last Friday the Ontario gov't dropped the GTA back into our level 2 Covid status pretty much blowing up the Thanksgiving weekend up here.
    Usually we get my brothers family of 5, my mother and our family of 7 together.
    This year we blew it up, no meal together even though some work from home, some work for the Maple Leaf hockey team and are tested daily, gotta coupla retired's, coupla homemakers, hell I'm the weak link out working everyday with germie scum.
    I get both side of the argument but have to say I've pretty much had it with this Covid crap.

Comment

We all are sick of it, Smokin. Better than be sick from it. :/

randy56 - a thought if you do this. You might want to have a couple of air purifiers with UVC filters running. I have one I used during the recent smoke season (yay fires). I have this https://www.guardiantechnologies.com...mguardian.html and the UVC esp might help (I know very strong UVC sanitizes rooms, but no idea if this is strong enough to really help with CV). Just a thought.
      Last edited by rickgregory; October 15, 2020, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• Cheef
        Cheef commented
        Editing a comment
        After 35 plus years in some of the most malaria stricken areas in the world with never a problem I am a believer in colloidal silver.
        I have read that the Chinese who unleashed the virus have used it in aerosols to help with surface contact control.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Air purifiers with HEPA filters are supposed to be somewhat effective too.

Thanks to all those who gave your thought's and comments, that's why I put it on this forum. to get different perspective's.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        And that's what you got - in spades! ;-)

To me, this all comes down to risk management and what each of us feels to be an acceptable risk, not only to ourselves but to others that we may come into contact with. Speaking solely for myself and those that I may come into contact with, as I don't have any right to speak for anyone else, any indoor gathering at this point in time simply isn't worth the risk. Again, only speaking for myself, I won't feel that the risk/reward ratio is low enough until we have an effective, broadly distributed vaccine with a high degree of penetration in the community.
      "The great thing about science is that it really doesn't care what you believe."

Comment

• Davek8282
        Davek8282 commented
        Editing a comment
        Love the science quote

• Cheef
        Cheef commented
        Editing a comment
        To me the great thing about science is it supporters declare it to be an absolute for its time.
        It is fluid though and continually changes through discovery.

• randy56
        randy56 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good commits and thoughts' pkadare.

randy56
      You may want to go to this site and enter your geographical area into the app (from Brown University) and the proposed activity, from grocery shopping to family gatherings to attending restaurants.

It's pretty interesting. After you find your risk for a certain activity you can follow the app to see what you can do to reduce that risk.

Kathryn

Comment

• randy56
        randy56 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks fzxdoc, according to the app. we should not, interesting

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here