Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the secret to maintaining moistness after pulling meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the secret to maintaining moistness after pulling meat?

Hi everyone,
    I am new to posting at The Pit and I am unaware if this question has already been asked in the past. My question stems from observing some barbecue restaurants being able to produce moist meat all day long. Now, I know they are not keeping the meat on the smoker or in an oven, otherwise the meat would dry out. And I know that not all restaurant techniques are equal because I have been to some restaurants where the meat is dry in the evening while others serve moist meat all day long. Is it that they have meat cooking at different times and "retire" dry meat to serve in some other purpose (i.e. - beans, soups, etc) or is there a trick to keeping meat moist longer after it is pulled from the smoker? Any ideas or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Matt aka "theusnomad"

Depends on what you're cookin'. I did a brisket and should have kept all of the juice when I put it in the faux for about 2 hrs. Brisket was a little dry, but the pinto beans with the au jus were motherin' good.

Tri-tip comes straight off the gill and ready eat. I did one that was you could've squeezed juice out like a sponge.

Hams are pretty cool. I did 2 on a Sunday and served them @ work on a Wednesday. Folks said they were the juiciest ever. Nothing special, just sliced and bagged on Sunday. Followed MH's recipe that called for crutching them after a 1 hour smoke all the way though until they hit correct IT.

Other folks with way more expertise will chime in on this.

Welcome Aboard! Best site ever!

--Ed

Comment

Restaurants have holding thingamajigs and slice their meats to order.
      At home I hold portioned meat vacuum (with some of the jus) sealed in 130 degrees sous vide hot tub time machine.

Comment

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        Thingamajigs or Whatchamacallits or BOTH? Don't you get a kick when 1 person refers to another as "Watchamacallit"?

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL!! Depends on the situation

• Steve Retherford
        Steve Retherford commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe these Thingamajigs or Whatchamacallits are also known as CVap ovens.

I thought it was a "Hot Tub Protein Machine."

My wife emulated your thick hamburger patties yesterday, I had one Mack Daddy burger when I got home. She thought they were too thick.

Comment

Too thick? A burger should distort the face when taking a bite no?
        Next time smash it a little. You get that Good crust as a bonus.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine was fine.....me love crust.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here