Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ah, Fall Harvest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, Fall Harvest

13 pints of pesto, 12 pints of pepper jelly, 3 racks of poblanos in the dehydrator, and 2 racks of paprika peppers in the smoker, not a bad little afternoon. That's in addition to the 30 or so quarts of tomatoes in the pantry, 1/2 a local beef in one freezer and half a local lamb in another. Love country living and a great garden season, country folks can survive!!

Sounds like a really good day.

Comment

That’s quite a crop. And all of it sounds tasty.

I think I recall that you have a greenhouse. Is everything grown in that or is some of it "in the wild."

Mostly importantly, how much space does your "farming" take up?

I have a couple friends that just moved and their large back garden is pretty much a disaster...it WILL be renovated and they’re looking to grow some edibles. They currently have a small plot on the side of their home now but want to expand that... They also have dogs, so they’ll need a bit of space as well.

The big question now is how much space is really needed to grow...tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, basil...well, pretty much what it seems you’re growing.

I of course tell them to pretty much use the whole yard...but that really isn’t dog friendly it seems. But you’re "haul" seems right in line with what they’re looking to do.

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        I would recommend they look up square foot gardening or raised bed gardening information as it might be right for them. You can grow quite a lot in small areas and they can be very dog friendly or dog proofed.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        We live on a 7 acre plot of land and our garden is 40' X 40'. We do the starts in the greenhouse due to our alpine climate then plant in the ground/raised beds. Don's advice is very good. You can do a lot with raised beds, planter boxes and such. We hung a 20' piece of rain gutter on the fence and grew strawberries. Your friends will need to get creative with their space, but over time they will find the right fit for their needs.

We put in eggplant for the first time this year. We had a VERY late spring this year, and all our seedlings went in late as well. There was one (huge!) eggplant in August, then nothing. However, the plants seem to have gotten a second wind and I'm still harvesting them here in October. They're supposed to be hot weather crops, but apparently they didn't get that memo.

The tomatoes, basil and peppers all had decent crops, and I'm waiting on my carrots until first frost.

Comment

I can't see the pictures!

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Close your eyes and then imagine little mason jars filled with pesto and pepper jelly...

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Oooooooo, ahhhhhhhh....

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahahaha!!!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here