Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paqui One Chip Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paqui One Chip Challenge

So my son-in-law gave me this, since he and I are both fans of hot, spicy food:

Click image for larger version

Name:	71XT4qC4WBL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	922712

It's a single blue corn chip, spiced up to 1.5M Scoville units:

Blue Corn, Sunflower and/or Safflower, Carolina Reaper Pepper, Scorpion Chile Pepper, Sea Salt, Activated Charcoal Powder, Chipotle Pepper Powder, Sichuan Pepper, Sichuan Pepper Extract

Has anyone ever tried it? I looked at a couple of You Tube videos and it looks pretty painful. I like hot peppers, but not at the expense of cauterizing my taste buds.

Not sure what to do with his gift.

Kathryn

I'm more worried about what it'll do to my stomach and my bowels.

I would preload with a lot of milk and then chase it with even more milk.

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Come on ice cream!

Activated charcoal?? That's we what gave for poisonings and pill overdoses.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; October 12, 2020, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, cleaned up after a few of those in my ER days.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan those are some epic messes!! But like Narcan, us ambulance jockeys wouldn't push it until we were making the corner to the ER.

Yeah I've seen a lot of videos of people eating that and it looks like an awful experience

Comment

fzxdoc be careful! take a look at this.

Comment

How big is that chip? A standard size tortilla chip?
        I've eaten some pretty insanely hot things in my life. Would be interesting to try. Maybe.

Comment

I love hot food. There is no way I would try that. I’ve seen and heard too many stories. The warnings are real.

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            One of my son's friends took the ghost pepper burger challenge at Chunky's (aptly named) in San Antonio. He had to sign a release in order to proceed.

Pass!!!!

Comment

My first action if I received such a gift from a son-in-law would be to remove him from my will.

Comment

Save it for your favorite "know it all".

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                We always kept a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce at the fire station for just such an emergency.

Please film it! lol

Comment

I have, in fact, eaten this chip a few years ago. I was able to take the heat and swallow it, but the effects on the digestive tract were felt about 45 minutes after swallowing it, and I was occupied in the bathroom for about two hours as a systematic and painful evacuation took place. Prep for a colonoscopy is much more of a pleasurable experience. My advice is to pass on this challenge. :-) Find someone in your life who claims to love hot food and then offer it to him/her.

Comment

I don't eat food because it's hot, I eat food because it tastes good. Bit I don't mind *some* heat if the heat source adds to the flavor. I'm passin' on this...

Comment

• mrichie1229
                    mrichie1229 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed!

I did last years chip challenge. It was hot as hell and not terribly tasty. After around 10 min the heat subsides. I didn’t have to eat ice cream or drink milk or anything like that (did it with a friend and my brother) but it was still crazy hot.

just make sure you eat before you take it. I had a big bowl of white rice and was generally fine outside of a small instance of piercing stomach pain that lasted a min or two a few hrs later. Have heard that part is worse if you don’t eat first

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
                    mrteddyprincess commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, I ate the chip on an empty stomach.

• shify
                    shify commented
                    Editing a comment
                    fzxdoc - In case it wasn't clear, I would recommend you do it and I would do it again. It was unpleasant but a fun thing to do. Unfortunately we didn't get around to eating it until after COVID started, so we did it via a group Zoom instead of in person (hence the refusal to drink milk or water) but all of us did it without freaking out like many of those youtube videos you watch.

I think I would pass on this. But if you do it, we're gonna need to see video.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here