Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat Delivery boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat Delivery boxes

Hi All, About 6 months ago I started using SteakChop meat delivery service. I like it. It comes frozen in a Styrofoam box every 8 weeks for me. You have some control over what you get, as you can tilt towards all beef or pork. It is nice to pull something out of the deep freezer for easy dinner the next night. Everything so far has tasted very good. They even throw in some crab cakes and other things like that once in a while.

I usually go to the local butcher for my meat but it is fun to just have something show up at the house.

I know some people use butcher box and other services. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on other services out there.

This is more my speed. I can't justify spending a bazillion dollars per lb that the upscale sites charge.

Comment

I'd be very curious as to people's recommendations here. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Very reasonable pricing.

Comment

Thanks for info. Looks real good and priced right.

Comment

I am into this. I don't need utra-premium, but I want something better than USDA select. And, in the current climate, I will pay extra to get it.

Comment

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              I never see Select in the grocery stores/meat markets I shop at. I think I've only seen one place in the last 25 years (now defunct Alberson's) that carried select as their main offering.

This is what gets me about beef retailers, using fancy marketing terms to pump up sales.

From SteakChop's web site:
            "Our cattle are finished with a proprietary mixture of corn and grains to enhance marbling, taste, and tenderness to earn our beef the coveted USDA Prime and Premium Choice designations, which is typically reserved for the most exclusive steakhouses".

There isn't any such thing as USDA Premium Choice. I have a hard time believing that they don't know this, so I think the use of the capital letters and the plural form of the word "designation" is an attempt to deceive. It's something supermarkets slap on their meat to justify higher prices.

Maybe they have great meat, but it seams to be a bit unscrupulous puffery to me.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              Food retailing is full of...meaningless words (feel free to substitute)...to promote their products as better than the rest. Some words are regulated, some are not. For example, the pork and poultry I raise is 'Super Duper Extra Special Fancy Premium'. However, I can't say it's prime, choice, or select because I don't process it at a USDA facility.

• efincoop
              efincoop commented
              Editing a comment
              We have a grocery chain near us called The Fresh Market. They regularly advertise Premium Choice and state that is a step above choice, but below prime. I agree that it is marketing, but the few times I have purchased Premium Choice, I have been pleased with it.

Thanks for the info on USDA, etc. I am not schooled in these things so it is helpful. Probably written on the website by the marketing team.

Comment

I recently cancelled my ButcherBox subscription. I wasn't unhappy with it, but I prefer my steaks cut thicker than what they provide so I didn't want their beef anymore. I have a local supplier for fresh chicken, so I don't need that either. That leaves pork, and I don't need a full box of pork so it wasn't worth keeping the service.

Comment

I live in a small town and the local Super 1 and Walmart never really have decent steaks when I feel like having one. Chicken is okay and I have no faith in the fish. I’ll give this a shot and see what I think. Subbed the chicken breasts for a 3.5 lb whole chicken.

Comment

If you are a fan of fish, check out Sitka Salmon Shares.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here