Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peeling roasted hatch chiles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peeling roasted hatch chiles?

So, I bought some Hatch Chiles and roasted them right away. Threw a few in a container to steam and peeled them that day and used in first couple days, the rest I let cool an hour or so and vac bagged and froze. I took one of the bags out this afternoon and just let it sit on counter and hour or two and saw it was thawed so threw it in fridge.f I went to peel them to through on burgers for dinner and the first peeled fine, The second disintegrated as I tried to peel it with a veggie peeled or gently scraping with a pairing knife.

What’s father trick here? I’m going to be frustrated if I only get half the yield here as I think I paid way more than should have for these things to begin with.

I peel / de-skin when it's convenient, but th rest of th time, I'm really not adverse to havin th skin, or seeds in my diet...don't know why so many worry bout removin such...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 20, 2020, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Did you let the ones you vac-packed steam? The steaming is important to get the skin to release. Maybe nuke the vac bag for 20-30 seconds after it's thawed and let it steam.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Take fresh roasted, place em in a paper or either a plastic bag, wrap em up in newspaper give em some time to steam up, some...least 15 minutes...mo is bettah...yup.

If it disintegrated then It’s overcooked and the freezing bursted it the rest of the way. Once it’s overcooked it’s even hard to do fresh.

perhaps you can toss in a vitamix and purée well with some shallot, garlic, maybe a fresher chili too.

Then toss in a pan with a spot of chix/pork stock to use as a sauce. You get the drift i think. That would even be good with avo and taquitos.

you can push the purée though a chinois and add to a Crema with fresh herb.

you can simmer/braise some chIcken thighs in that purée or sauce.

there are a lot of ways to go.

make a fresh relish for dogs,’tacos etc..endless possibilities.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Well now I'm hungry.

K.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang Homey. You sir are a wizard.
        You are da man. 🙌

As other said, there’s a balance of finding that right amount of time of sweating. I’ll let my sack of chile sweat for hours, but I have never had to mail order and roast on my own, so I know that’s different. But when I get them from the farm, I put the trash bag full into an ice chest and let it sit for 3-4 hours. They are usually piping hot still when I pull them out to peel.

So, perhaps like others mentioned, reheating the vac bag in boiling water, or taking them out and microwave and into a zip lock then letting them sit a bit again.

but, I will say, sometimes you just get a chile that doesn’t cooperate and that’s when you go with HouseHomey method! Blended up, you can go anywhere with it - chile cheeseburger

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I did miss the steam step for the ones I froze. Now I need to find the info I originally followed to see If I totally missed it or it doesn’t talk about it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here