Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking in pans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking in pans

I had a bbq friend trying to convince me to cook in pans for a couple years now. I thought he was crazy until I tried it. I swear it was the best bbq I ever produced. The fat and moisture from the butts combined with the rub and salt to make this amazingly delicious braising liquid. When I pulled the meat I reserved some of that liquid and added it back to the meat. Omg. No joke. I’ll never cook any other way.

Also didn’t hurt to finish with a perfectly clean smoker.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Double down on clean smoker. Yup!

• Rocinante
      Rocinante commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you cover when in the pan? I have pan cooked before and there is a difference for sure. I have wondered though if covered too long, that may entice more liquid to sweat out.

Yup!

Comment

I use uncovered pans for butts and would not go back to naked again.

Comment

Will try that next time.

Comment

Originally posted by SavageSmoke View Post
          I had a bbq friend trying to convince me to cook in pans for a couple years now. I thought he was crazy until I tried it. I swear it was the best bbq I ever produced. The fat and moisture from the butts combined with the rub and salt to make this amazingly delicious braising liquid. When I pulled the meat I reserved some of that liquid and added it back to the meat. Omg. No joke. I’ll never cook any other way.
          Sounds like an interesting proposition.

The butts I have done seem to put out a ton of fat.

Do you guys put a rack in the pan or just let the meat sit there in its own juice? How deep does it get ?

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            I put the pan below the grate to catch the drippings. I'll separate some of the fat and pour back on to the pulled meat. yummm

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            I make sure to have the meat elevated so it develops bark all over. The pan is some distance below. Just watch out that the pan isn’t too close to the heat that the fat in the pan can ignite.

• zzdocxx
            zzdocxx commented
            Editing a comment
            You guys are making me hungry !

Thanks for the tips.

I'm thinking about Costco, they have those disposable aluminum pans, maybe something like that ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	52260AE0-231C-41A4-83CC-7F786AE2D6FC.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	913187 Doing a butt right now.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I get those pans at Costco zzdocxx

There's a guy in town that cooks his butts in pans and injects them. Based on his results I'll keep cleaning my smoker, the meat seemed more like a "crockpot never been browned roast." He cooks a lot in a big offset that I wouldn't want to clean so it's probably best for him he do it that way.

Comment

• zzdocxx
            zzdocxx commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmm . . .

But JB, what about if the pan is put underneath the grate ?

Come to think of it, in my Traeger there is probably not enough room for one under there.

Anyway same question though.
            Last edited by zzdocxx; September 20, 2020, 02:00 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here