Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Letting Others Shop For Your Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....and good point about shopping on off-peak hours. I've been doing Home Depot's delivery, which has been excellent. There is a $45 minimum order and an $8.99 delivery fee (per order) for most items. However, if you select an item over 3' in one dimension, the delivery fee goes up to $35. Over 6', $85!

I need some PVC pipe and some ground rods....so I'm going to have my make a trip. I plan on doing it on a weekday, perhaps just an hour before closing.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Just fork over the $500 in delivery fees and wait in the parking lot.

I haven't read the replies to this thread. I will just say that I like the convenience of HEB curbside but I will not let them pick out beef, especially steaks. However, I will order a Wagyu brisket - pretty consistent quality with those.

Comment

I was using Smith's (regional Kroger brand) pickup service at the start of the mayhem. I once got a pack of hoagie buns that were quite smashed and they just didn't try very hard to suggest a substitute when something was sold out. It was common for something to be sold out and I understood that. But if I asked for a 5 lb bag of Kroger sugar that was sold out, they could have at least suggested the 10 lb bag of C&H. Stuff like that just frustrated me. I'm limiting how often I go grocery shopping but have decided I'd just rather do my own.

Comment

We tried Instacart and the Vons delivery early on in the lockdown, both were unsatisfactory at best. Granted, it was when nothing was available, but our neighborhood Mexican market and Halal market had pretty much everything except paper products so we just went back to shopping there during off hours. We have gotten delivery meat & poultry from a local ranch, and have been going to local butcher shops for meat rather than buying at the super market. Lately we've been alternating between the big Supermercado and a local chain grocery store for stock up trips, again during off hours.

So we came up with something we're both pretty comfortable with. Can I get meat I want all the time? Pork & chicken, yeah. Beef, not the quality and price I'm used to, but that's fine. I've just been making a lot more Mexican food, asian food, Mediterranean food , etc. Stuff that's not my normal comfort zone. And that's cool, having to adapt to what I can get has made me a better cook.

And I'll probably end up at Vons tomorrow because they actually have Ribeye on sale for a reasonable price, so I'm gonna load up because I need a damn steak.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Smart m final has $5.99 Nyorks and Sprouts has $6.99!TBones

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          Vons has a coupon for $4.77 for ribeye. There's no way I'm going to the neighborhood Sprouts, old hippies do not seem to understand social distancing. Seriously, lady, If I can elbow you in the throat you're way too damn close. I might take the long way home from work and stop at Windmill Farms, their meat prices are usually the same as Sprouts.

We've been paying our housecleaning team (a mother and daughter duo) full salary since early March to NOT clean our home. We felt they needed the money too much for us to put them on financial hiatus until this Covid thing blows over. In exchange, they volunteered to grocery shop for us. It's an expensive grocery service arrangement for us, but it allows them to help us and us to help them. It works out.

Since the seasonal farm-fresh outdoor market opened up again, I started going there in non-peak hours. It's all open air, but everyone is required to wear a mask nonetheless. I wear a re-usable N95 mask and gloves and take my spray bottle of Everclear 151 for when I need to wipe the pen used to sign the charge card and the charge card itself when it's returned to me. When that outdoor market closes in late Fall, we'll be back to buying grocery store produce.

For meat, I'm working my way through our freezers. And ordering from Porter Road and Allen Brothers when tempted by posts on this site.

And I'm still decontaminating all our groceries unless they are shelf stable and can quarantine in the garage for several days. Ugh what a job that is.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; September 5, 2020, 06:05 AM.

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          We’ve done that with our helper, except never thought of asking for the grocery shopping. Not sure #1 would be keen on that. She is just starting to work for us again.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          We're still not ready to have our housecleaners come into the house, richinlbrg . They're very social, are out and about a lot, clean many homes and businesses, and are not much into mask-wearing. So I continue to clean our home.

I don't have them do all the grocery shopping, but it's handy to have them do some so I only have to make one grocery trip a month.

K.

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc , we require masks and gloves. We’ve just been so busy that we had to break down and get help in, although nowhere near the frequency we used to.

Let others shop for my food? I'm not keen on letting others grow or raise my food!

Comment

I think it's been mentioned above, but a hybrid approach is good, too. Use a service like this for staples, some food that's all the same stuff (chicken etc) and then shop for your important meat and product in person.

I've gone back to going to the store for the most part and like fzxdoc am using farmer's markets for as much produce as I can.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here