Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The pellet grill invasion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pellet grill invasion

One of the side effects of pellet grill popularity is that bags of pellets are taking over the shelves in stores. I went looking for pecan and cherry chunks at my local big box stores, and they were out of stock. I may end up patronizing online sources.

Edit: "One of the DOWNSIDES of pellet grill popularity ..." I think some of you may have misread my post. Or maybe I misread yours?
    Last edited by SmokingPat; August 30, 2020, 04:05 PM.

Oakridge BBQ Rubs seasonings and brines. The number one choice for competition teams

Comment

Yep!

Comment

Dicks Sporting Goods for Lumberjack pellets. Free shipping.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are good pellets.

I’m pretty sure my neighbor just got one recently. Every now and then, around dinner time, I can smell just a wisp of wood smoke. Very mild, but also very close.

Comment

Guilty ! It is nice though to see pellets available at local stores now. ( in a pinch ) Still order my Cookinpellets online.

Comment

WalMart here carries 40 pound bags of Pit Boss. I got two the last time I was there.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I like those pellets, they're pretty clean.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I too have been happy with Pit Boss brand. More dust in the bag than Grilla's, but I mail-ordered mine and figure they're just handled roughly, really a non-issue. I bought 160lbs early spring and I'm on my last bag. Will buy more. Thanks to you & Max for the recommendation.

Glad to read your post, Long Live The Pellet Grill,
            A Big Thank You to Traeger.

Comment

Along with Fruita Wood that Rod suggested...I also like The Woodshed in Anaheim AKA https://sharpegourmet.com
              They can supply everything from chips to logs.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                I think there’s one in Orange too.

• surfdog
                surfdog commented
                Editing a comment
                Actually HouseHomey you are correct. It’s in Orange, on Batavia.

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve never been there. People also seem to tell me about it though. In fact I can’t recall the last time I’ve been out of Newport Beach/Huntington beach city limits.its been a long while since I’ve even been to orange. Lived all over Santa Ana/orange/Tustin area for decades.
                Funny how that works.

I tell all my friends that don't have a clue on how to barbeque to get a pellet smoker. It's so easy. It's an adult Easy-Bake-Oven. Thanks Traeger.
              Last edited by TripleB; August 31, 2020, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                You're right, easier than a gas grill and everyone knows how to run a gas grill.

I just go to my local Ace Hardware, 1.5 miles away, for wood chunks for cooking on my kettle. They have had a wide range available all season so far. And oh, BTW, I also have a pellet grill.

Comment

If you have an Academy near you, hit them up to look for B&B Pellets. From what I've heard, they're made by BBQ'ers Delight. I think CandySueQ has the info on that one.

I just burned through my 2nd bag of BBQ'ers and it really helpd to stabilize the temps on my Traeger. With PitBoss for some reason, my grill ran super hot.

I just picked up 2 bags of B&B. I was really suprised by the amount, and variety, of their pellets I found at Academy. The B8B pellets burned great and help constant temp too.,

Comment

I agree with SmokingPat that it does seem more of the big box stores are carrying more pellets, and less charcoal and wood chunks this year compared to prior years. Lowe's and Home Depot certainly have a much smaller section of charcoal than they did even last year. Maybe its just a shortage of some brands, but I also know they quit carrying some brands I liked (Weber for example).

I like the B&B wood chunks and charcoal that I bought at the local Academy, but last time I checked online, they were also out of a lot of stuff in the local store.

Comment

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    +2 on that.
                    I was in 4 big box stores on the weekend not a bag of briquettes or charcoal to be had.
                    One was selling off Royal Oak hickory chips and lighter fluid at half price so I did grab a few of each.
                    But 3 of 4 had shelves of pellets on hand.
                    Not a knock on our pellet burning friends on this site but I was kinda miffed

Charcoal pickings around here are really slim right now. I had to pop into Home Depot today to get some light bulbs. All they had were 2 packs of Embers, which is crap charcoal IMO. They didn't even have KBB.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you're a memebr of Sam's they usually have pallets of the twin 20lb packs of KBB. Hasn't been on sale at all this year though, sadly. Here's to hoping for a sale this weekend, last chance!

• JeffJ
                    JeffJ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Huskee I don't have a pellet cooker. I've just noticed that charcoal pickings are really slim of late and I am low.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here