Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please explain Duckfat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please explain Duckfat

Occasionally I see references to Duckfat. Would someone please explain what it is and how/when it is used? Thanks!!

It's.. fat. from a duck. And YUMMY.

OK so... if you roast a duck, you will get a fair amount of fat in the roasting pan, That's all duck fat is (usually strained to get out bits of other stuff). What it's used for? Roasting potatoes. Confiting duck legs (slow poaching the leg in the fat). Many other things. It's not something to use for high temp searing, but for some applications where you're using a fat at fairly low temps and want a lot of flavor... duck fat.

Comment

Like rickgregory says, it’s fat, from a duck
      It is awesome! You can for example SV potatoes in duck fat and a rosemary twig, and then sear them. Or confit foods etc.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow. Sounds delicious.

K.

I have even heard of basting ribs with it. I have not tried this. Saw it on BBQ Pitmasters TV show. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

I buy it in a spray can.

Comment

I was gifted a 1 gallon tub, been trying to decide what to do with it. Henrik's idea sounds good.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Do break this into smaller portions and freeze. Like any animal fat it can go rancid.

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            rickgregory For now the whole gallon tub is in the freezer. When I decide to use some I'll divide it and refreeze. Its probably more precious than pork fat.

It would be worth having some just for roasting chickens and potatoes, but it is great for a lot of other cooking too. You should get a jar and give it a try. I think you will enjoy the results.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Wally’s even has it.

Use it on steak. Awesome. Also great for potatoes.

Comment

Keep saving it too. Fried potatoes as said above are always a winner. Roasted too. Some leftover chicken with eggs for breakfast is good to, add taters and yum. I

Comment

It makes really great popcorn

Comment

STEAK! In a Cast Iron skillet. First sear it, then bathe it in duck fat wth a spoon bringing it to Med Rare. Just might be the best tasting, juiciest steak you ever had!
                Last edited by FireMan; August 16, 2020, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here