Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best smell while barbecuing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best smell while barbecuing.

Yes, I love it when the wood starts up and the smoke... also when the brisket cook starts to permeate the air...Sure, I am sticking a couple birds on the UDS today and love that smell as the fat hits the charcoals... of course the onions on the flat top...but the real project is grilling up the chilies SWMBO brought home. I love that smell.

What is your favorite BBQ smell.

I can relate to the onions on a flatop but what gets my juices going is "Boerewors" over live fire.

Comment

Boy this a tough one. But my initial thought is the smell when I open the lid of the smoker to check things well into the cook. Smoke, meat cooking, spices, sauce, all blending together in a big puff right in my face. OMG. I need to go fire up the smoker now. 😋

Comment

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on this👍😋

Oh yeah, MEAT dripping, cherry smoke, cold IPA.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, iced cold IPA
      Pecan for me

Wood smoke, meat cooking (especially when seasoned with black pepper), and grass clippings (I usually mow the yard while doing a long cook). An a cold beer, of course. Mmmm....Beer.

I also like watching the dogs jumping around in anticipation whenever I cook.
    Last edited by 58limited; August 9, 2020, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I love the smell of food being smoked. That sweet aroma of roasting meat and hardwood is so distinctive.

Couple years ago my wife and I rented an Air BnB down by the beach and I was strolling through the neighborhood and I got a whiff of BBQ in the air. Sniffed it out to a gentleman smoking ribs on his Tragear. Spent a couple hours with him going over his rub profiles, sauces and general que. Priceless....

But one of my favorites is coming back to my smoker days, even weeks later after smoking and opening the lid. You get a whiff of smoke and it brings back so many good memories. Always puts a smile on my face.

Comment

All of it. I made some cheese steaks on the griddle today; the smell when that beef hit the hot surface of the CI griddle was incredible. And the aroma of wibs on the grate when I go to spritz is amazing. Even wings on the vortex. And whatever beverage I have - brewski for early afternoon, bourbon for late night. BBQ is just short of heaven.

Comment

Binchotan aka Japanese White Oak. The smell is heavenly! I also really love mesquite. Now I want a burger. And a beer.

Comment

The best smell is when the rib smoke is wafting over the fence to my neighbor and then all of a sudden he gets chatty.

​​​​​​It smells like victory.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              Victory indeed!! 👏

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Oorraahh

Hatch time Click image for larger version

Name:	E172ADAF-7613-4F2F-826B-595A3778995B.jpeg
Views:	320
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	893909Click image for larger version

Name:	0FFDB086-F7B5-4D37-BD2B-47ACD526CA7F.jpeg
Views:	342
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	893910

Comment

• cgrover60
              cgrover60 commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh yeah. I even hang out outside the grocery store on days they are roasting just to get that aroma!

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Hopefully I'll be getting mine this week

• dusty salmans
              dusty salmans commented
              Editing a comment
              There is Nothing like the Aroma of Roasting Fresh Hatch Chile's!!!!

This smelled pretty good also. Click image for larger version

Name:	97C09567-2568-40C3-9D9C-6213A0A46737.jpeg
Views:	344
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	893913

Comment

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yum.

Well "the best" is those days when it seems like half the neighborhood is cooking at the same time and the air just smells like smoke and meat. But I can also confirm that Montreal smoked meat hanging in the PBJr. with a couple chunks of oak smells pretty dang good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5210.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	893917

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              PBJ, PBJ, PBJ!

I don't know but my 5 year old daughter will give me a hug at night, smell the smoke in my shirt, take a big exaggerated inhale and say "ahhhhhhhhhh, grill smell".

Comment

• cgrover60
              cgrover60 commented
              Editing a comment
              That would be the best.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Heart.Melted.

Sitting out by the smoker with a great bourbon.

Comment

Meathead maple bacon recipe on the wsm, with cherry and apple wood!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here