Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Kitchen Must Have!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Kitchen Must Have!

Hi fellow meatheads. I’ve got a product I’d like to share with everyone. If you don’t have one already, get you one soon. I’m talking about a set of battery powered pepper/spice grinders. Years ago if I wanted fresh ground black pepper I used get out the old hand crank grinder which was always cumbersome and required both hands. I’ve bought a few sets of battery powered grinders over over the years and will never go back to manual style. They come in sets of two, for salt and pepper, or whatever you want to put in it. Most operate on 4 AA batteries. Some even have a little light that shines down on your food as you operate it. Most all of them also have an adjustment for the coarseness of your grind. It is so easy to use, one thumb on the button and presto, out comes your pepper much faster and easier than by hand. I’ve got Pink Himalayan Coarse Salt in one of them and black peppercorns in the other. I know a lot of you already have a set, but if you don’t, trust me, you’ll love it. Amazon has a big selection, which is where I bought mine. Most are only around $35.-$40. Do most of you guys already have a set? Just curious.
    Attached Files

I have this Trudeau set from Williams Sonoma. Replacing the salt is a pain because the center post that turns the grinding mechanism has corroded somewhat over the years, making putting the thing back together after filling the salt cavity a challenge. It can be done, with a colorful word or two thrown in for good measure, though. I've had the set for over 20 years.

Click image for larger version  Name:	img37o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	891879

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; August 6, 2020, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Over 20 years? And it’s already going out? Man, they just don’t make em like they used to! 😆

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a spice(coffee) grinder.Nice Panhead by the way!

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

If our fore fathers could see us now....What, to lazy to grind your own pepper????
    My grinder is getting up there and is getting into the futile stage.
    Gotta birthday on Sunday this could be a great gift to me.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s one of those things where you’ll say "Man, I should have got one of these 20 years ago!" Trust me.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy almost birthday, buddy! I think you deserve a new pepper grinder.

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy Birthday smokin fool !

I have always wanted a set but never pulled the trigger. Maybe soon...

Comment

I have two spice grinders and a Molcajete. Had one of these jobbers a long while back but couldn’t do it any more. I just ain’t got no time for that.

They take forever to cover any real estate. fzxdoc do you use yours to cover lots of real estate or just for a onsey twosie?

Sophia is constantly calling me impatient and irritable but she’s wrong.
      Last edited by HouseHomey; August 6, 2020, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with you, HouseHomey . The best pepper grinder I ever had was a little tabletop one with a crank for grinding. It was a lot faster for grinding a significant amount, like a half or whole teaspoon, than the one I have now where you tried a knob at one end. But I haven't seen one in a long time.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        No, HouseHomey and Dewesq55 , these are used only at the table. I use hand grind salt/pepper dispensers for bigger jobs with the exception of dry brining. I dislike dipping my fingers into a salt cellar. When I use my salt cellar for dry brining, I use a measuring spoon to sprinkle on the salt. The salt cellar came with a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon attached.

The family likes this table service design because you don't push a button, just turn the shaker to the side and the S/P comes out.

K.
        Last edited by fzxdoc; August 6, 2020, 02:04 PM.

I have the same set as the OP and love it. Keep two different kinds of pepper loaded up for different uses and it works well for using one clean hand to apply freshly ground to a brisket, etc. One handed operation is the key, I can still twist a manual grinder if needed, but not without either several extra hand washings of contaminating the grinder when prepping meat.

Comment

Glitchy made a good point about one handed operation. That is a big selling point also. But if you had one many years ago and haven’t tried one recently, you might be surprised. A few people mentioned grinding speed of ones they had many years ago not being fast enough. Just read some reviews of ones available online, if you’re on the fence. Most of them I saw on Amazon were only $20.-$30. for a pair. A lot of them now have a ceramic grinder in them, which improves speed and quality of grind, vs. metal grinders. Anyway, the one I have, I’m able to grind a full teaspoon of medium coarse pepper in 20 seconds. I timed it...... I know, get a life John.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Lmao!

On a few episodes of BBQ Pit Boys they had rigged up a battery powered drill to their pepper grinder - same concept - they just treated the top of the spoke like a drill bit.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment

I like my Alton Brown style salt vessel. I don't understand the benefit of grinding salt fresh.

Click image for larger version

Name:	711R6kuL%2BdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	892091

I use this for pepper along with traditional pepper mills.

Name:	skeppshult-7172-swing-pepper-grinder-ground-spices-890.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	892092

And for more volume, I measure whole peppercorn and grind it in a magic bullet.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Try grinding Himalayan Pink Crystal salt on your food, you won’t go back to regular salt. It’s like tasting fresh ground black pepper, but with salt. 👍🏻

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John I have a salt grinder with Himilayan salt in it but I almost always opt for kosher salt and sometimes variously flavored flakey salts. But maybe I'll give it another chance and try a side to side comparison sometime soon.

My fancy system.

Name:	1DAA293B-B6F9-462D-B209-77C6A2FFC12D.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	892106

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          OMG! You use pepper out of a shaker jar! The horror of it all! 😂. But that way, you have to shake your hand up and down. With a cordless grinder, you just push down with your thumb. Less effort involved, I try to do it from my couch. 😂

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the electric grinder that you just turn upside down. My sister got one for her husband. It's pretty cool.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s Half my system right there.

Years ago I need a bunch of pepper for a prime rib...and doing by hand was WAY too slow...
        What to do..?
        Go big. LOL My wife thought I was an idiot...

Fast forward a bit and Alton Brown did much the same on Good Eats...I made a comment or two...and all she could do was say, "OMG, you’re both nuts." LOL

Name:	C3F5A232-E6EA-4EDF-97C8-592F27D43732.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	892283

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely genius! Your wife should be more understanding though....... Drills, they’re not just for screws anymore.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here