Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate cooking in the rain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate cooking in the rain!

It was burger night tonight, and the first of the year with home grown tomatoes. The forecast was for rain later, but, of course, the rain, (downpour), came early. And I had decided to use an induction burner outside for fries to see how well it worked. I was able to have the burner close enough to the Kettle to have both under the umbrella. However, during the cook I discovered that the umbrella leaked like a sieve...

I was afraid to take the top off the CI pot I was heating the oil in because I thought any drops of water falling into the hot oil would explode. The burgers were close to done when the rain finally stopped and I was able to cook the fries. They came out fine, but I was hoping the induction top would recover faster.

Everything turned out great, but what an ordeal. I was wearing a raincoat with a hood, so the rain didn't get me, but it was still hot enough for me to sweat in the coat, and it stuck to any exposed skin.

A few pics. (I guess I forgot to get a photo of the burgers on the grill.

The d**n rain. If you look close, you can see the rain streaming off the umbrella in several places.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_180254[1].jpg
Views:	178
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	889396

The CI on the induction burner with the top protecting the hot oil. Notice how wet the table is, and it's under the umbrella.

Name:	20200731_180410[1].jpg
Views:	263
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	889397

The results.

Name:	20200731_183335[1].jpg
Views:	249
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	889398

Wow!

Comment

You done good. I lucked out on another place with an area to completely cover my grills (2+ car carport and only one vehicle). And this one doesn't appear to flood like the other.

That tree all the way to the right needs to go or it will go on its own. I had to cut two at the last place. One was so rotten we cut and pulled towards 10 o' clock and it fell past 12 o' clock.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanx and I have a number of trees that need to come down, but not in this heat. We've lost maybe 15 - 20 trees over the years. One small tree did a little damage to the house during a hurricane a good while ago and one took out part of a fence 3 or 4 years ago. Another missed the shop by ~ 2'. I'm beginning to rethink leaving so many trees when we built the house...

I know it isn’t MCS, but are craving a grilling hut?

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I am, but my wife doesn't like the idea at all.

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        @ RonB my wife didn’t like my idea about covering part of our deck but now that it’s done she loves it. We’ve spent every evening sitting under it for the last several months.

Well the results look terrific. But a hard road getting there! I salute your perseverance. 👏

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanx, but it's hard to stop in the middle of a cook.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB "Anybody want a rare burger with still half-froze fries......I done!!!"

Great looking cook in difficult situation. Honestly, I would like some rain. We've been in a drought for a while. Water restrictions in place going on 2 months. This tropical system coming up east coast could provide some relief. Might need to get generator fired up to assure it's ready.

Comment

Everything looks great!...Nice deck too!!

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanx. I built our deck and it took a while doing it by myself.

You done well!

Comment

Red Green it....and old golf umbrella and duct tape.....works every time
          except when you go golfing and are starving by the third hole

Comment

Your food looks wonderful! You toughed it out and it looks like the reward was worth it.

Comment

Dedication 👊

Comment

I looked closely at using an induction burner for frying back before I bought my monster Camp Chef Outdoor Gas Range with 30K BTU burners (which are perfect for frying).

I never could get any recovery with my induction unit, although HouseHomey linked me to far pricier restaurant quality units which would have done well, I'm guessing.

An almost-close-second was to fry in a CI dutch oven on my gasser as Meathead suggests. That recovery time was slower than on the CC range, but way faster than anything else I had previously used, which included indoor range and the side burner on my Summit gasser.

Kathryn

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I remember that, but I already had this one, so thought I'd give it a try. The ceramic top stove we have cycles on and off with wide temp swings. I was hoping the induction would not, but it was a bit slow heating and recovering. It did work though.

I agree with you RonB. We have gone about a month south of you with zilch for rain. Last 4 evenings we have had gully washers. Now gearing up for Isaias is putting a cramp on the cooking. I do have small salvation with a tiny portion of our indoor courtyard that is covered. Serinity Now!!!

Comment

How did the frying with ci on the induction work? I assume you had fryingoil in the dutchoven?
                  The fries looks good btw! And so does the burger..
                  Last edited by Elton's BBQ; August 1, 2020, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanx. The induction burner did work, but was a bit slow and the recovery was slow too. As fzxdoc mentioned above, it's just not powerful enough. I'm still toying with the idea of getting a dedicated burner for frying outdoors. And a larger CI pot too and...

I don’t know what yer complaining about. I’ll eat that burger any day . 👍🕶

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here