Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharing Food / Cooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Food / Cooks

Do you all have a cadre great friends and neighbors who share food? I feel blessed and here are a few examples... guy at work gives me pike, beet greens(he hates them), I give him cheese and sausage ( I have access to wicked good stuff) also I will smoke salmon he catches for him. Another guy I trade cheese and in return I get homemade smoked who know what and sausage. Another we trade veggies ferments and cooked meals. Another neighbor makes an insanely good jalapeno relish and I give her kraut and peppers from garden . It is an entire network home and work of great food for "free".

We do this lots in my neighborhood as well!!!

Comment

I am usually the one passing out the food. My neighbors just usually do things in return.

My one neighbor has a backpack blower and he's always blowing our leaves into a pile for us.

My other neighbor has a snow blower and I can't remember the last time I had to shovel.

Now if I could just get a neighbor that likes to mow lawns for BBQ I'd be set.

My one neighbor cooks cupcakes out of her house. Ill get a few of them every so often though.

Comment

I tend to be the giver but rarely the receiver when it comes to food in our neighborhood. But I do hop the fence and use my neighbor's Camp Chef griddle from time to time.

Comment

Have great neighbors here. They are all grillers and smokers. We are always exchanging food from our grills, fruit from our trees and one neighbor in particular has a hugd garden and keeps us in supply of veggies. Great neighborhood and when we move its going to be a sad day for us.

Comment

Not too much of that around here.
            I'll give my one neighbor what I've smoked once and a while, if the winds blowing in the right direction I fill his house full of smoke.
            He says he doesn't mind, but I think his wife ain't so fond of me.
            Last edited by smokin fool; July 30, 2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I get elk from one buddy, pork and olive oil from my sister, and various swaps from the gardens in the neighborhood. I have a bountiful Asian pear and an Italian plum tree.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Italian plum tree? Isn't that a tomato plant?

• tiewunon
                tiewunon commented
                Editing a comment
                Attjack if you have the same Italian plum tree as we do it makes the best plum preserves and jelly of any of plum trees we have in are yard.

• tiewunon
                tiewunon commented
                Editing a comment
                Thats the ticket. 👍

@tiewunon here's what it looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	italian-plum-tree-fruit-425x425.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	888789

Comment

• tiewunon
                tiewunon commented
                Editing a comment
                Double post here I am not too quick on the uptake. Thats the ticket concerning the plums. 👍

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I keep meaning to make a plum based BBQ sauce with them. Maybe this is the year!

We grow lots of peppers and give most of them away. We planted a calamansi tree in our backyard and the thing grew to about 35' tall. (Calamansi is sort of a mini cross between an orange and a lime, for those who don't know). This tree produces literally thousands of fruit each year, almost all year round. Only frost kind of knocks it down. Anyway, we beg people to come over and take them. Also have several other fruit trees that we give most of the fruit that we can't use away as well.

As far as bbq, if I cook a lot of extra meat or do a brisket or pork butt, our Filipino friends end up the recipients. They counter with some awesome Filipino food, mostly for my better half but I eat a lot of it myself.

Good topic by the way. I see food as spreading the joy and love of the cooking art and your growing prowess !!

Comment

On either side our neighbors we share on a regular basis. The couple in late 70's, wife is a great baker. Just last week, cream cheese squares. Cooked foods too. The other side is a single 70ish asian woman who is steeped in the traditional asian cuisine. Also she's cultivates many asian based vegetables. Amazing gardens throughout her property. And my wife shares many of her recipes. Most vegtable based, so I can't attest for them. My idea of a vegatable is grilled corn, grilled or fried potato or grilled carrot and some kind of peas. Thats it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here