Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Oldtimers Work for KFC Back before the 70s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58limited
    replied
    Another evening of playing with the KFC pressure cooker. I wasn't satisfied with the last batch, I thought the connective tissue (tendons, etc.) were still a little tough. This time I made the original recipe* and put the chicken in the cooker when the oil reached 325*. Waited one minute to put the lid on. Cooked for 15 minutes, turned off burner, released pressure (about 1 minute), and removed the chicken. Ending temp of the oil was 275*. Then I heated to 300* and added some fresh garden jalapeno bottle caps (same original recipe breading) to the oil - no lid. Yum! The chicken was nice and tender, flavor is very close to KFC Original.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3147.JPG Views:	0 Size:	894.6 KB ID:	899288

Fresh jalapenos from the garden - they are small, longest is about 2 inches. These ended up being very hot!

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3146.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	899290

Yep, I took a bite out of the chicken while the bottle caps fried.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3148.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	899289

*Previously, I used dried leaves for the basil, thyme, and oregano. Last time I used powdered leaves ('cause I sift the flour to remove the wet parts so I can re-use it. The leaves get sifted out. but I used the same measurements listed in the recipe. The flavor was off. This time I used 1/3 of the amount of powdered herbs (1/2 tsp vs. 1/2 Tbsp). Flavor is almost identical to KFC original.
    Last edited by 58limited; August 20, 2020, 06:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Do you deliver?

• 58limited
    replied
    Weather hasn't been cooperating so I had to try this indoors. It worked fine, not sure why I had problems a few years ago, probably tried to cook too much chicken. Tonight the stove handled it fine. I cooked the equivalent to one chicken at a time. My understanding is that these pressure cookers can hold two chickens. First run was 5 drumsticks and two smaller thighs. Second run was 4 drumsticks and two larger thighs.

First run went a little longer - about 10 minutes under pressure and then three minutes before I got the lid off. The lid was being obstinate but I got it off. Chicken temped at 195-205. It was juicy and good. Batter was crispier that what you get now at KFC - they cook at a lower pressure now.

Temps: Added the chicken to peanut oil at 385 degrees. Temp at end of cook was 273 degrees.

Second run was two minutes shorter, it was a little tougher, collagen did not break down as much. Plus I got the lid off quickly so there wasn't an extra couple of minutes cooking.

Taste: pretty close to KFC's Original Recipe. Some people on the web say that if you add a little MSG (about 1 tablespoon) it will taste exactly like KFC. I don't use MSG so I'll never know.

I started at 385* because the old video of Col. Sanders showed him using a starting temp of 400* and subsequent videos posted by others start at 365-375*. I thought the batter was over done and thus lost some flavor. Next time I'm going to start the chicken at 350* and cook longer to see if that gives a more tender batter and tender chicken.

Here are pics:

Chicken added at 385*

Click image for larger version  Name:	KFC_COOK1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.78 MB ID:	886974

I tried to capture the steam but it didn't show up. 29 7/10 weight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	KFC_COOK2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	886975

First run
    Click image for larger version  Name:	KFC_COOK3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.79 MB ID:	886976

Second run
    Click image for larger version  Name:	KFC_COOK4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.40 MB ID:	886977

So, the basic method is this: For my stove (1950 O'Keefe & Merritt gas stove) the burner stays on maximum during the entire cook. When oil reaches desired temperature, add the chicken. Cook one minute with the lid off to set the batter. Stir the chicken and put lid on. Pressure starts venting within two minutes. Cook about 10 - 12 minutes, turn off burner and vent pressure. Remove lid and move chicken to a cooling rack.

Last edited by 58limited; July 26, 2020, 08:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    replied
    I decided to break out the cooker and try this again this weekend. For those who haven't seen it, here is the Original Recipe as published by the Chicago Tribune in 2016: https://www.chicagotribune.com/trave...818-story.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	kfc_recipe.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.2 KB ID:	885295

The people who have tried the recipe say that the /Ts/ stands for tablespoons. That would have been my guess since I write recipes with a /T/ for tablespoons and a /t/ for teaspoons.

Here is my KFC cooker: Mirro brand, date code 11/1969, KFC serial number 52708:

Click image for larger version  Name:	kfc_cooker1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	777.6 KB ID:	885298

Click image for larger version  Name:	kfc_cooker2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,009.6 KB ID:	885296
    Click image for larger version  Name:	kfc_cooker3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	742.6 KB ID:	885297

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    The story I've read says the Colonel and his rival (Matt Stewart) were involved in a shoot out over the sign issue. Stewart tried to kill Col. Sanders but instead killed a Shell employee who was with Sanders. Stewart was sent to prison for murder, which eliminated the Colonel's competition.
    Last edited by 58limited; July 23, 2020, 02:22 PM.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    First of all that's Minnie Pearl I see there. Second, in those days they did everything in a dress with heels and suits and ties. Remember June Cleaver cleaning the house in high heels and an apron? Ah the good old days when TV was all fantasy, sweetness and lite !!

• gcdmd
    replied
    A nice basic discussion of pressure frying with kudos to The Colonel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAnhxqlxSkU

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Can't make anymore of a mess than frying cracklins.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    replied
    to think, he got his start as a gas station owner, even killed a rival for tampering with his sign.

Leave a comment:

• BFlynn
    replied
    Maybe only do 1 bird the first run.
    Also, wear safety goggles and keep a fire extinguisher handy..... Just in case

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    replied
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

BFlynn My vintage stove is 8500 BTUs if I recall, it didn't really handle this cooker. My propane Cajun Cooker does but I have a hard time figuring out how to control the temperature.

luvthemstillers Thanks for the link, I've seen one of those vids but haven't watched them all.

mgaretz and MBMorgan Even though thousands of teenagers working their first jobs used these back in the day I'm usually nervous about firing it up. Not only because of the risks of frying in a pressure cooker but 29 7/10 PSI is a lot of pressure when most pressure cookers max out at 15 PSI. The oil level is only about 1/3 capacity. When chicken is added - about 2 birds worth - the level rises to about 2/3 capacity. I think that is the maximum capacity.

When Colonel Sanders first came up with this idea he simply modified a regular pressure canner. He later contracted with manufacturers to make them but looking at mine it is basically a 16 quart canning pressure cooker with the Colonel's weight added (and a riveted "Property of KFC" tag).

When I got mine I bought a replacement gasket - same as for the regular 16 qt. pressure cooker. The few times I was able to dial in the temp with my Cajun Cooker it performed well, I just stand away from it until I pop the valve to release pressure. I played around with it for several months after acquiring it but it has sat neglected for a year or so, I need to dig it out and try again, especially since the KFC Original Recipe was leaked a few years ago.
    Last edited by 58limited; July 23, 2020, 02:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Our local grocery chain makes good fried chicken too, I usually buy it from them rather than one of the fast food chains. They display it in a 15+ inch cast iron skillet - I always ask how much for the skillet, they just laugh.
    Last edited by 58limited; July 22, 2020, 04:22 PM.

• ssandy_561
    replied
    We have a grocery store here where I live that makes the best Broasted Chicken. It’s Salty, Crispy and always cooked to Perfection.

Nothing like the KFC. 😆

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Originally posted by mgaretz View Post
    It appears to have been designed to pressure fry in oil. Most modern pressure cookers, including all electric ones, are not designed to use oil and it's not safe to do so. There are a few exceptions (I bought one at a county fair many years ago, by Pressure Magic), but you really have to work to find one rated for oil.
    In support of mgaretz 's warning: https://thedeepestfry.com/read-this-...essure-cooker/

Leave a comment:

• mgaretz
    replied
    It appears to have been designed to pressure fry in oil. Most modern pressure cookers, including all electric ones, are not designed to use oil and it's not safe to do so. There are a few exceptions (I bought one at a county fair many years ago, by Pressure Magic), but you really have to work to find one rated for oil.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis