Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Can't Decide If This Is Cool Or Just Too Obsessive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Can't Decide If This Is Cool Or Just Too Obsessive

I finally joined those of you who are not afraid to tie a piece of meat before it goes on to cook, but I found that in tying my stuffed pork loin earlier this week, things got messy and it would be nice to confine the twine to a container that will shield the bulk of it from the mess and be easy to clean on the outside once the tying job is done. This is a 500 foot roll of cooking twine and it is wound in a conical shape, making the base just a hair too wide for most of the plasticware containers I have around or even a pint Mason jar. After poking through cabinets, I found a long-neglected dispenser of germicidal wipes that might date back as long as 20 years when our youngest was an infant. They were dried out and useless, so into the garbage they went.

And if you're going, go all in, right? Peeling the labels off such an old container took time. Neither soap nor isopropyl alcohol took off the adhesive residue. So I used package sealing tape to apply the label from the twine package and wrap over the adhesive. Worked out okay:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1404(2).jpg
Views:	338
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	881543
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1402 (2).jpg
Views:	316
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	881544

There's a lot of extra space inside, so we'll see if that's a problem on the next tying job.

So have at it. Am I too obsessive or was this a good thing to do?

Styrofoam cup with a lid that has a straw hole in it. Pull the cardboard spindle out of twine, grab the end in the center, and push through straw hole.

Comment

• DesertRaider
      DesertRaider commented
      Editing a comment
      There you go again just simplifying the heck out of something

OK, it is pretty obsessive, but when I get a bigger roll of twine I am going to copy it

Comment

Obsessive? Nope. Ingenious? Yup.

Comment

Nope. Great repurposing! I actually bought a stainless steel twine holder....so, of course I’m not going to tell you it’s obsessive and I’m going to say it’s COOL!

Comment

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          I feel so much better now!

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a stainless steel one too. No. Definitely not obsessive. 👍

Oh its Obsessive all right. Not that anyone on this site is any better than you are. You don't want to see my spatula collection each with its specialty, my collection of grill cleaning brushes, wipes and what have you is impressive as well. I am at least as Obsessive as you are.

Comment

I use an Adam's Peanut Butter jar. I drilled a hole in the lid and was good to go.
          Last edited by Attjack; July 17, 2020, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Plus one for the peanut butter jar.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Heathens! Peter Pan chunky!

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Adam's comes in a nice glass jar with a metal lid.

I just chuck my roll into a cabinet over the fridge. The "light bulb" cabinet.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            found a two year old Christmas present for my wife up there. Felt like Griswald for a second.

Perfectly normal.

Comment

Wait, its not cool to be too obsessive?

Comment

I think it is cool. I can’t tell if the spool spins reee or not, but if it doesn’t and it binds up you might want to put a dowl rod on the bottom.
              Last edited by LA Pork Butt; July 16, 2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Obsession is a mental construct interpreted in many ways. Let's not dwell on the abstract, rather let's see what science has to say about it......

Comment

• Jim White
                  Jim White commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In fact, Troutman, that video reminds me of the time in my physical chemistry class when the professor had just broken his arm and was lecturing while on high-powered painkillers. He worked on one problem at the board about 20 minutes and wound up right back at the starting equation. At which point he put down the chalk and walked out.

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh yeah, osaya ga hassa , thank you veddy much. The tale of the string and the cylinder! Yup!

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OK Goodwill Hunting... I'm more of a Hannibal Lecter man myself...that reminds me, I need to grab some fava beans at the market when I go, later.
                  Last edited by texastweeter; July 17, 2020, 10:08 AM.

Pro tip” here" " next time you have sticky adhesive left on a container spread it with peanut butter (Skippy, Adams, whatever), wait a few hours and it’ll wipe off. It’s the oil that does the trick. (No charge.)

Comment

• Willy
                  Willy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What about just using straight oil? Pam even?

• Texas Larry
                  Texas Larry commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Any oil will work but the pb holds it in place so it doesn’t just run off. Works for us.

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  wife uses Goo Be Gone

It might be seen as obsessive, by some, but it most definitely is COOL, as well...
                Way to think creatively, an repurpose, Brother!

Comment

I don’t really like old crap. Sophia has a houseful if it (ok, husband joke here) and I want stuff that actually works now, without a rebuild.

No sir, all good but I’m with barelfly.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here