Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too Much BBQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Much BBQ?

Yes, I know this is the non-BBQ channel, but I'm not sure where else to post this. My wife just told me that I'm making too much BBQ. Too much? I don't understand. She said she likes it. It's very good, she says. But I just have been making it too much apparently since we've been in this whole 2020 lockdown world. I think this is the perfect time to get that smoker going. Anyway, looking for some marital advice here. How do I keep the culinary peace in my household? Thanks for all of your help.

Trial separation, living "apart", permanent separation, legal separation. All viable options.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I only hope that my BCBS of thirty plus years will cover th grievous injuries that I did partially unto myself, while ROFLMFAOLOLOMG>
      If that there is indecipherable, an I know yer a bright gentleman, lmk
      I always enjoy tellin nosy people who ask, an everybody else, as well that I've Been Happily Divorced fer 35+ years. If there was ever one thing those crotchety Ol Timers of my youth ever taught me...Don't never git hit by th same train, twicet, Boy
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 13, 2020, 12:15 PM. Reason: Ficksed Blue Cross Blue Shield Acronym, sry :o

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones - so were you guilty, (BD - before divorce), sayin' things like "We've had 2 happy years of married life out of a total of 11."

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB I reserve th right to refuse to comment, on th grounds that it may serve to incriminate me lol!
      I also have no clear recollection of that particular event at this juncture in time, Sir.

I have experienced mild bbq burnout myself. It's a thing. Try grilling more to mix it up.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with this. I too have taken to thinking in terms of "outdoor cooking" instead of BBQ cooking. Mixing in straight grilling cooks as well as using my pellet cooker as an outdoor oven.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yall needs a griddle.
      Jus sayin.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I took that excellent advice myself a couple of weeks ago, Mr. Bones! Now I find myself looking for more things to cook on that griddle. No real shortage of ideas so far, though.

Try thinking a little different. I made chuck roasts yesterday, used a Mexican inspired rub and we made tacos last night, nachos and quesadillas tonight. Smoke a meatloaf, grill a pizza. We are burnt out on ribs and a little tired of traditional bbq. We keep making it because it’s still better to have bbq pork wraps vs deli turkey sandwiches for lunch...but, trying hard to find different things.
    Last edited by glitchy; July 12, 2020, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      "not looking for bark there" I just roasted some marshmallows on the gas range, but I WAS looking for bark.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard You like those blackened marshmallows, eh?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah, I remove the pot holder frame thingee and keep them in the freezer that way they don't melt too much

Had the same experience a couple year's ago. when doing BBQ competition's. And Practice cooking at home for that perfic chicken, Ribs ect. BBQ over load. Wife said enough. for a while. So I continued the BBQ competition. But eased up at home, then started looking for other things like chuck roast, chile, shish kebab's, plain ole Hamburgers, steak, she will still love you.

Comment

I get it....I cook outside all summer but only make long cook low and slow with smoke on the weekends. I love traditional BBQ but once a week is good for me. Plus wether 3 people are eating or 30 people are eating I always cook for 300 (exaggeration but you get the idea) so I am always eating traditional BBQ until Tuesday or Wednesday the following week as leftovers in one form or another.

Comment

How many pairs of shoes does she have ?
        As a reference point for comparison of ,,,,,,,,,

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          That shoe scenario is used when one is considering adding to the cooker collection, MCS.

Home made ramen noodles with brisket. Lots of Thai recipes are good for bbq. Also something I have never seen on here , has anyone mixed curry with bbq??

Comment

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          One of our favorite curries is a red curry lentil dish. Several times, I've added leftover pulled pork and it's great in there. I've also used smoked pulled chuck in a Szechuan beef shreds cook and the effect was great.

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Check out Dewesq55 's Tandoor posts.

• vibemore
          vibemore commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll have to check this out some more. She LOVES Thai food.

Who cooks when you don’t BBQ? How about something like this? "Honey, I am not going to BBQ today, what would you like to cook for dinner today?"
        Last edited by LA Pork Butt; July 13, 2020, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          I do practically 100% of the cooking at our house, BBQ or otherwise.

Add a griddle to the mix of outdoor cookers, gives you a completely new set of options!

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea! Time to go shopping. MCS strikes again.

I find that the big draw of smoking is not only cooking those great (if somewhat predictable after a while if one has a limited repertoire) foods but also the fun of cooking outdoors. Last year I switched it up by purchasing an outdoor 4 burner range which I really enjoy using for wok cooking and especially for frying. All the smell and mess stay outside. This year I bought a griddle specifically for use on my gasser. So with my PBC, 22"Kettle/SnS, and WSCGC, I'm pretty much covered for outdoor cooking options. It doesn't all have to be BBQ.

That said, I have yet to experience BBQ burnout. Perhaps that's because I use the leftovers (pork butt, brisket, chuck roast, etc) for more traditional uses like marinara meat sauce, posole verde, beef vegetable soup, chili, etc.

But for outdoor cooking, what truly brings me pure joy is firing up my smokers.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; July 13, 2020, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          OOOO! Posloe Verde!

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          this is the joy for me too... yeah I cook a lot of pork butts, but I don't think we've used the left overs the same way yet. So I get additional joy from getting creative either with the smoker or with the leftovers. Also alot of our cookers can be used as ovens, we CAN control the smoke so everything cooked on a smoker isn't necessarily "smoked" and depending on your preferred definition, possibly not everything that comes off a cooker is BBQ

I'm glad my wife got tired of traditional BBQ because it forced me expand the repertoire and advance to the next level on the never ending ascent to backyard fire-deity.
        Last edited by hoovarmin; July 13, 2020, 06:57 AM.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah! Expand the itinerary & keep the fire.

I do lots of grilling - chicken, chops, asparagus, corn. Since there are only 2 of us, I only "bbq" a couple times a month. That keeps the better half from bbq fatigue. Plus, we also have a camp chef stove, and we use it a lot. Did a king crab leg boil on it last night, didn’t get pics though.

Hey, this may be the perfect excuse. "Honey, if I get this, I could expand my outdoor cooking beyond just bbq"

Comment

• Greygoose
          Greygoose commented
          Editing a comment
          Winner winner,,,what’s fer dinner ??!!!

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          You are on to something powerful here.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya know ya wanna. Breathe in. Breathe out. Let It Fly.
          There's worse thing than couches, in this life, Brother!

Yup, got to mix it up.

Comment

This happened to my wife and me a few years ago. We were either smoking, grilling, or making Mexican food every night. I bought a simple Chinese recipe book, which is now our goto every few months when we want to change it up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here