Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston Butt & Boneless Short Ribs (First Time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston Butt & Boneless Short Ribs (First Time)

There's a bug with uploading photos.... I rotated by photo 90 degrees CW, but the photo is still CCW by 90 degrees.... Web dudes, what's up?

OK, here's my first run at pulled pork and boneless short ribs.

Using my gasser with wood chunks. Heat on left side, load on right. Target temperature is 225F and it's been easy to maintain today. Bone-in butt is at 183F and ribs at 177F (they are a bit cooler). Rolling thru a stall on the butt for past 2-3 hours (only 3 degrees). Ribs are slowing increasing. Pulling ribs for saucing and 325F covered heat at 193F and butt will be checked at 190F for tenderness (bone twist). I'm in no rush... this is an experiment run. I'm going to share some with my neighbors when done tonight and will make a meal for tomorrow with the folks.

It's hatch chile season and I threw on some halved chiles with some more apple chunks.

nice, I got a neck crack and a craving for dark crusted meat

Comment

Love the bark and love green chile season! Looks great

Comment

WTG man, thats sexy right there!

Comment

Both the butt and short ribs turned out good.... bone pulled out easy in butt. I let it sit wrapped for about an hour. Pulled easily ... good bark, rub/salt not over-powering and a good meaty smokey flavor. No sauce at all Short ribs cut like butter and melted in your mouth. Very little smoke ring, but nice bark. Rub/salt not over-powering. Great meat flavor too.

I made my own rub, no salt. The usual spices (paprika, garlic, onion & chili powders, black pepper). Green dry herbs too. Seeds - celery, allspice, mustard, coriander. Some smoked dried jalapenos from my garden for heat. Toasted everything in a hot pan, then ground it all up. Cut in 50% by weight of light brown sugar & took the mixture for another spin to get a fine powder. Salted about an hour out, yellow mustard for both and a light coat of rub.

Used apple wood chunks in a 2-zone setup in the gasser. Maintained 225F for the entire smoke.

Comment

How long was the total cook?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here