Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Call for Dinner Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Call for Dinner Recipes

I’m at the twilight of my career, while my wife’s career is taking off. So now with more time on my hands I’m the chef Boyardee of the house and make dinner just about every night for the last couple of years. Which is great since cooking is my hobby and have been enjoying it for over 40 years. All my adult children are living at home right now, so it’s more than just the wife and I. I set a menu every week and basically stick to it. As an example, here is our menu for this week:
    • Sat: Chili Dogs and Potato Chips
    • Sunday: Pastrami (which I made) sandwiches, potato salad
    • Monday: Teriyaki Salmon, rice and salad
    • Tuesday: Shish Kabobs, Humus, Tahini and Pita bread
    • Wed: Leftovers
    • Thurs: Chicken Florentine, rice and salad
    • Fri: Take Out (Pho)
    I read the posts on Amazing Ribs daily and have made about a lot of the recipes posted. Its been hit and miss, but it’s been fun trying something different. My family loves BBQ, but can’t give it to them every night.

So if you can, post some of your favorite dinner recipes or send them to me at [email protected] if you want to just attach the file. I’m always up for something new…..to a degree

Thanks in advance.

I was raised on fried chicken every Sunday, so that's my favorite, but Kenji has a great recipe called something like Pan Seared, Oven Roasted Chicken with a Fine Herbs an Wine Sauce that is # 2 for me, and my wife asked for me to fix it for her birthday this year:

I do add mushrooms to the sauce, but that's the only change I have made.

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I got to look at it and it looks delicious. I'll have to give it a try. I like the adding mushroom touch. I love mushrooms.
      Last edited by TripleB; June 25, 2020, 04:50 PM.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Lasagna is always good. We add hot Italian sausage to the groung beef give it some zing.
    Bag of those flavored frozen turkey meatballs with pineapple chunks, onion and peppers make great easy kabobs.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; June 25, 2020, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

TripleB Check out Sam the Cooking Guy. He's got a Youtube channel and website. We use his recipes a lot. They are all usually simple with his own twists on classics. He does do some goofy things probably to appeal to a wider audience. Though he does do some BBQ things, that's not his strength. His main thing is just to motivate people to cook. And cook without rigid rules and ingredients.

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Checked out Sam. Fun show.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I missed this the first time around. Sam is going on my rotation with Kent Rollins.

Some of the things I really like, and they are pretty easy over all ....

Teriyaki Chicken on the grill

Grilled salmon in a North African styled rub, great on salmon or other firm saltwater fish
    • 1 tbsp garlic powder
    • 1 tbsp paprika
    • 1 tsp cumin
    • 3/4 tsp kosher salt
    • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
    • 1/4 tsp turmeric
    • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Coat fish lightly with olive oil, then coat liberally with rub. Grill to medium well.

Here's a pretty decent taco seasoning recipe, works well for 1 pound of ground beef. stole it from my wife
    • 1 tablespoon chili powder
    • 1 tsp sea salt
    • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    • 1 tsp black pepper
    • 1/2 tsp paprika
    • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    I call this Eric's Chicken. I made it up one weeknight cause it was easy. Everyone in my family enjoys it.
    • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (can use tenderloins instead) approximately 1.5 chicken breasts per adult
    • 2 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped
    • 1 shallot or small onion, diced fine
    • 1/4 cup olive oil
    • 1/2 cup dry white wine (or dry vermouth)
    • 2 - 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    • Oregano – 1 tsp
    • Basil – 1 tsp
    • Salt (to taste)
    • Pepper (to taste)
    • Red Pepper Flakes (a dash, to your taste)

Pasta of some sort (or rice) - whatever you prefer, cooked and drained

Cut the chicken into 1/2 inch cubes
    Saute the garlic and shallot (or onion) in the olive oil, then add the chicken and spices. Cook chicken until done. Then add wine and reduce by half. Add tomatoes and simmer covered for 5 minutes. Serve over pasta, rice, etc.

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful. Thank you.

How adventurous are your "customers"? Do they like foreign cuisine? A big batch of curry (Indian or Thai) makes for some good leftovers. Our young kids surprisingly like spring rolls, so that's an easy way to get a lot of veggies in. We also have this cookbook, and we've yet to find a recipe we weren't impressed with. Specific recipes that we like that I see looking through our past few week's menus:
    • Grilled chicken wings
    • Spaghetti with homemade sauce
    • Burritos/fajitas/tacos
    • Stir fry green beans
    • Homemade pizza on the grill
    • Fish tacos
    • We almost always have a big batch of beans and rice that we use for lunches. With some sour cream and cheese added to the bowl, it tastes pretty good.
    I'm interested in other people's replies as well because I usually end up planning our meals for the week, and it's nice to mix it up once in a while.

Comment

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep Mr. Bones my wife made me a binder cookbook with recipes we like, and I have notes jotted down on several recipes for adjustments that we have liked after making it by the book the first time.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link to the book. I picked it up as well.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      PBCDad Very cool, yer Missus rocks fer doin that! Please tell hHer I done said so!

Hopefully, yer usin page protectors, readily available at any office supply store, or online...

A few others since I seem to have trouble concentrating on work I'll probably get made fun of because there's nothing "special" about these recipes, but they are good easy meals that we enjoy, and most make really good leftovers.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      They ain't Thing One wrong with makin "Easy" meals, Brother!

I not only do it a LOT, but I've posted up countless, here on th Forum.

I've followed this post, fer additional inspiration, so I'll check yer links, but Seriously: Go check out Sam the Cooking Guy....he has decades of stuff posted on YT, an kicks some Serious Arse!
      He's occasinally potty mouthed, but I find it entertainin, rather than offensive.
      I've only discovered him, since I was sent home on quarantine lockdown!!!
      Binge!!!

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Fried whole fish. I've never tried that before. I'll have to give that a shot. Thank you.

One summer go-to I've been relying a lot on recently is this lemon pasta with tomatoes and basil. Made some tonight that I'm about to put up on SUWYC. Only change I make is that I like to mix parmesan with pecorino romano and tonight I even added just a tad of feta. Also, if you forget to save some of the pasta water like I did tonight, chicken broth works great for loosening the sauce.

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. My wife loves pasta.

Yield: 2-4 servings

Try this technique on any type of ground meat for an easy rice bowl topper. Just at a veggie: spinach, bok choy, asparagus.....

Ingredients:
    • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    • 8 ounces ground beef or pork (20% fat) or pork (or chicken)
    • 2 tablespoons sake
    • 2 tablespoons mirin
    • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
    • 2-4 scallions, chopped

Preparation:
    1. Heat oil in a medium skillet over med-high heat. Cook beef, stirring and breaking into small pieces, until browned and nearly cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add sake and cook until evaporated, about 1 minute. Add mirin and soy sauce and cook until pan is almost dry, about 1 minute longer. Add scallions and toss to combine.
    2. Serve over rice.

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

Here's my schedule for the week:

Monday: Open cupboards, look in refrigerator. Decide to eat either what looks good, or what is easy.

Tuesday through Sunday: Same as Monday.

As an example, last night I came in after 21:00 having spent four hours picking up hay off of two fields (not as bad as it sounds, they were big round bales, the tractor did the lifting, all I had to do was drive) so 'easy' was in order. Opened refrigerator, grabbed two string cheeses and a beer.

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like my day. Working the yard, mowing and blowing. Herding the livestock into the house for catnip and biscuits.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      The hay thief that got bale hasn't been back?

Some recent favorites from my family that are all pretty easy and don’t take much time:

Grilled pizza - make or buy your favorite dough. I’ve made it with both NY style and Neapolitan dough and both worked. I go for around a 230-250 gram ball for individual pizzas. Let the dough sit at room temp for at least 2 hours. Set up a 2 zone grill. Roll out pretty thin, brush with oil and then put oiled side on hot grill and brush the top side with oil. Should take ~2 min to get brown and have grill marks. Then flip and top (or remove from the grill and top and then put back on the grill). Be light on toppings and pre-cook anything necessary. Then cover and finish cooking. If you need more time to heat up the top and melt the cheese, can move to indirect side and keep grill covered. Can easily bang out 4 pizzas in 15-20 min.

Braised chickpeas - I love Chana masala and basically copied the cooking method to make chickpeas in different flavors. This week I went Mexican. Browned a chopped onion over medium high heat, then added garlic, chopped serranos and some chopped chipotle in adobo. Cooked for a minute and then added a small box (14 oz?) of puréed tomatoes and brought to a simmer. Added two cans of chickpeas that were rinsed and a little water to thin out the sauce. Then braised for about 20 min. Served with some warmed tortillas.

Smashed burgers - take 2-3 oz of ground meat and roll into balls. 2 per burger. Heat up a griddle, I use a cast iron griddle, and ones hot salt eat ball and place salt side down on griddle. Salt the other side and then smash the hell out of the patties until they are like 1/4 inch thick. I have a big trowel and use a square of parchment to really press it down and avoid sticking to the trowel. Cook until the crust is great and it’s almost cooked through. Then flip with a stiff sharp edged spatula, top with cheese and cook for another ~20 second. Then stack 2 patties and put on bun. The crust on the patties are crazy good and the burger is so juicy despite essentially being cooked thru. A favorite of my family and a very quick cook. I’ve even done it successfully with ground dark meat chicken for my wife, just didn’t smash it as thin as I was worried I’d overcook it.

Comment

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      Should’ve added that my most recent grilled pizza, posted on the Show Us What You’re cooking thread was topped with homemade pesto and ricotta cheese because that is what I had in the fridge.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds good. Thank you.

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on Grilled Pizza. It's a good way to use leftovers. Get creative. In lieu of red sauce I use olive oil, pesto, BBQ Sauce, Alfredo Sauce, Creamy Salad Dressing, or ???

AllRecipes.com can be a useful resource for variety, and the portion adjuster is handy for cooking for a crowd. It's a good idea to read the "Most helpful critical review." There can be some myths, though. Lots of rib recipes where people think having meat fall off the bone is the pinnacle of success.

I've become a big fan of using a portable induction cooktop on the lanai when late afternoon gulf coast thunderstorms can pop up out of nowhere. Hestan Cue has excellent recipes and cooking guides. Last night was this simple and quick pasta sauce that beats anything you've had out of a jar. You can also cook on a regular stovetop.

Make salad dressing from scratch. Don't use mayo out of a squeeze bottle. Instead, get an immersion blender and make mayo from avocado oil and egg yolks. It'll only keep for a few days but again you're cooking for a crowd. Avocado green goddess and 1,000 island is a favorite here. Vinegar and olive oil blends are great if you macerate the onions or shallots. You'll never buy bottled dressing again. Same goes for chimichurri made in a food processor.

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Will have to check it out. Your salad dressing paragraph has rekindled my memory on a few salad dressing recipes that I got from my mother. French dressing over avocado slices was a big favorite. Thank you.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      That pasta sauce is essentially what I do, but I simmer it for 20-30 minutes. It's awesome. I never use jarred sauce anymore. And you can do a lot of different things with it, such as Fra Diavolo/arabiatta sauce.

I'll send you my aunts recipe for a very traditional South African dish called "Bobotie" tomorrow when I have a chance. It's a really good and tasty dish.

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve had it before. It’s very good. My brother-in-law is SA. I look forward to your Aunt’s recipe.

How about another one I think is good.
    Turkey Lasagna with Béchamel
    Yield: 8 - 10 servings

Ingredients:
    Béchamel Sauce (or see recipe)
    • ¾ cup unsalted butter
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • ¾ cup all-purpose flour
    • 1 cup whole milk
    • 3 cups heavy cream
    • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
    • ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
    • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Lasagna
    • 10 lasagna noodles
    • 1 medium onion, chopped medium dice
    • 8 ounces Crimini mushrooms, sliced
    • 2½ pounds shredded turkey breast or ground turkey
    • 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced (1½ teaspoon dried oregano)
    • 16 ounces Ricotta cheese, shredded and divided
    • 1 large egg, beaten
    • ¾ lb fresh spinach, washed and well drained
    • 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided (try jack cheese)
    Preparation:
    1. Béchamel sauce: Melt butter in a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add flour and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
    2. Whisk in milk and cream then bring to just a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in nutmeg, Parmesan and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface and set aside.
    3. Lasagna: In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook ground turkey, mushrooms and onion until turkey is brown, no longer pink inside and onion is soft. Stir in fresh oregano and cook for 1 minute then set aside in a bowl.
    4. In empty skillet add spinach and cook until wilted.
    5. Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions for very al dente.
    6. In a medium bowl, mix together Ricotta, egg and spinach.
    7. Place 1 cup Béchamel sauce in bottom of 13”x 9” lasagna pan and spread to cover the bottom. Layer with lasagna noodles, ½ the Ricotta cheese mixture, then ½ ground turkey mixture. Top with 1 cup Mozzarella cheese.
    8. Repeat layers (noodles, remaining Ricotta and ground turkey) and top with remaining Béchamel sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup Mozzarella.
    9. Bake covered with foil in a preheated 350°F oven for 15 min. and uncovered for 25-30 min. or until bubbling and top is golden brown. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome. I have a great lasagna recipe but it's long making both sauce from scratch and 3 cheeses. Not a weeknight meal.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got a great spaghetti sauce recipe that I got from a Master Gardner. It too is not a weeknight recipe.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      ofelles TripleB in 86-87, lived on a NATO Commando Base, in Sicily.

Local Mamas/Gmamas is what staffed th chow halls, an prepared our every Guvmint Issued morsel what went in our mouths, three times a day.

I cozied up to em, an learned how each of them makes their sauces, red, white, etc...was walked though it, at their elbows. What a Golden Opportunity!

As ya both done said, there really is no shortcut to makin Great Sauces

This dish comes together so fast! We are a party of two, so leftovers get pulled from the bone. I shred some lettuce, dice tomatoes and whatever else I may have. Lay it out on a large tortilla, drizzle green sauce and roll. Tasty wrap!

About 95% of my cooking is from scratch. BUT, in a pinch, Trader Joe’s pot stickers, edamame, other veggies in a bit of broth with togarashi.

spaghetti alla carbonara
    caesar salad with grilled chicken
    egg sandwiches with Cheese, tomato and bacon or sausage (secret: smear a thin layer of mayo on the bread/buns and toast). Game changer!
    BLTAs

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Sheila Ann, I'll have to give this a try. Family loves roasted chicken. Probably the only thing (besides steak and Tri-Tip) that the family is on the same page with. My girls love TJ's pot stickers and edamame. A staple in our freezer. TJ's Salsa Verde is another. But you know TJ's, one day you walk in and they don't carry it anymore.

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      Good call. That green sauce is awesome if you can find aji Amarillo paste. Luckily the town next to me has a big central and South American population, so I get a jar pretty easily.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here