Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who’s up and cooking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who’s up and cooking?

Creek stone prime packer on the fire. What are you up to?
    Attached Files

Next Thursday night I have 3 briskets and 1 pork butt. Trim up Tuesday and apply NaCl. Debating on starting 1830hrs Thursday or 0230hrs Friday. Serving Friday evening 1900-ish.

Comment

Currently up, but not cookin...gittin ready fer beddy-bye time.

Makin up a 'headboard shot' of summa Ol Kaintuck's Finest, as a reward fer doin good, today...

Subsusquential, hopin to go hang tight an tough with ol Morpheus, fer several hours, uninterrupted...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 18, 2020, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xaugievike View Post
        Creek stone prime packer on the fire. What are you up to?
        Not judging. Just asking. Are you cooking fat side down, or is that just a really close trim?

If fat side down, how do you keep from tearing up the fat cap and bark when removing from the grates at the end of the cook?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          When I go fat cap down I spray the grates with copious amounts of Non-stick Spray right before I lay the brisket on the grates.

• journeymanjohn
          journeymanjohn commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard My experience when cooking fat down for long times, it sinks and wraps around grates. Then shrinkage & removal destroy presentation and flavor, loosing seasoning, bark, and fat. My heat source is from below & I would prefer to cook fat down as it's not uncommon to get crispier than desired underneath or to lose rub/bark when lifting to spritz. Thinking fat up then flip, onto butcher paper? Maybe using a water pan again? Both would likely hurt bark formation. Sorry for hijacking.

• xaugievike
          xaugievike commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s both fat down AND closely trimmed. My preference is to have the bark on the meat side, which, as you said tends to get tore up when removing. I mind less that the fat cap tears.

Prime packer brisket?

Comment

• xaugievike
          xaugievike commented
          Editing a comment
          It is

That’s one of them thar vertical style cookers ain’t it? I see what you’re doin there

Comment

I think I dreamed that......

Comment

Tomorrow morning hope to have 2 pork shoulders on the keg by 8:30, add a round roast at 2:00.
            When that's done open the dampers and get her raging and put on lamb chops if I can find some really thick ones Sat morning.
            Then settle into a meat induced haze.

Comment

Up but not cooking. We are celebrating my mother-in-law's birthday tonight. It's mostly carryout but I'm providing coney dogs - made the coney sauce last night. I was up early and smoking a chuck roast this past Tuesday...

Comment

Cheap steaks on a gas grill for breakfast, blasphemy!!! I know 😂
                Attached Files

Comment

I have woken up early to start a fire, twice. Now I let everything cook over night. More power to all of you that do. I’m sure it is a bit meditative to have smoke rolling and watching the sunrise. I’m putting a brisket on soon though, likely tonight. Cheers

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good Luck with yer brisky, Brother!
                    Lookin forward to updates..

I was ZZZZZzzzzzzzz

Comment

Updates
                    Attached Files

Comment

• smokin fool
                      smokin fool commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Snap!
                      That looks good, nice job

Excellent, outstanding, awesome.

and now I crash.

thanks for following along

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here