Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Energy to Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy to Cook

I have a question/observation.
    I cooked a 17 lb pork shoulder a few weeks back at roughly 250. It took about the same amount of time as a 10 lb butt. To my surprise, at the end if the cook, I'd used almost all the charcoal in the Egg. I also noticed during the cook that my vents were opened more than usual to maintain 250.

A couple of days ago I cooked 1 rack of baby backs. I had a sliver of vent open on both top and bottom to maintain 250 and normal charcoal use.

My question: Does it really take an appreciable amount more charcoal to deliver the same amount of energy needed to keep the pit at 250 on a 17 lb peice of meat vs something like 1 rack of ribs???

I'm far from an expect but I'm going to say yes. Because of the mass you're cooking. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Also because of the size of the meat and moisture is going to to wire things to the chamber temp. So yes it does.

I think pork Butt would also take more energy Vs an equivalent size lean breast.

also the size and shape matter vs the weight.

I also am out of my element but that’s how I see it off the cuff.

ill wait for the smart people and read their answer.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too.

The cold meat is a giant ice cube and a giant heat sink, so yes it will take more energy or less energy keep the ambient temp the same with a larger or smaller heat sink in there.

Comment

The meat is is a heat sink and so is the water evaporating from it and leaving the cooker as vapor.

Comment

I'm purty danged far from th sharpest crayon in th box, but basic physics would indicate fuel amount, airflow, an thermal mass as th primary contestants, with ambient conditions also bein a factour.
          I'd haveta say a resoundin 'YUP', It Do.(guess)
          Yeah, it makes a difference, ime. YMMV.

Comment

I’d think you’re onto the right hypothesis. If my physics class in High School used these types of examples, I probably would have done a LOT better in that class haha

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, Devil Dog, reckon I mighta, as well!

An here I thought you was goin to say how tired you is so’s ya can’t cook. Ya mean that kind of energy. I’ll have ta think about that awhile.

PS. I’m sorta out in left field when in one post ambient temperature, physics, crayon box & vapor are used.
            Last edited by FireMan; May 25, 2020, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't Hurt Yerself, none in th process, fer th sake of Th Pit!
              Please, Brother LOL ;p

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here