Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those with multiple cookers: how do you choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what I cook on is determined by how I plan to cook it, weather, what I am going to cook and how much effort I want to spend on it. for the long slow cooks or cold weather I fire up the Lone Star Grillz Mini cabinet smoker, that will hold enough food to feed a lot of people and never gets used to capacity. For a quick steak the choice of the lodge sportsman's grill or the Weber smokey Joe. If I want to do a batch of wings I just fire up the Rec Tec trail blazer which will hold about four pounds of wings. got rid of my stick burner because I don't have time to sit there feeding it all day and half the night for the rate times I cook a whole brisket. the Mini can be fired up brought to temp add the food, then just come back when the fire bird tells me the internal temperature is where I want it. yes the pellet grill can do the same thing but who doesn't need another pit. for steaks, pork chops, shish kabob the smokey Joe or the lodge pit works just fine. Do I want more pits? of course I do because there may be something unique about the next one I having tried yet.

Comment

Amount of available time, quantity of food, venue and WEATHER all dictate to varying degrees what I go with. Michigan weather isn't BBQ friendly compared with other states.

Comment

The size and shape of the food.

Comment

I have 3 cookers. Weber Spirit II 3 burner gasser, vertical propane Masterbuilt MPS-340 XL cabinet smoker, and a Cuisinart 360 22" propane griddle. Do not have anything that uses charcoal or stick burner. I live in AZ where we are already hitting temps in the low 100s so I try not to have to babysit them in the summer. I tend to use the smoker the most. i got the Weber grill 2 years ago, the smoker last July, and the griddle a few months ago. I did smash-burgers a la Paul Sidoriak on the griddle for my birthday yesterday and then did chicken thighs in the smoker with nekkid corn on the cob on the grill for supper tonight. So they all get used for different things. Sometimes separately and sometimes together. I think next will be a pellet pooper.

Comment

I have an XL BGE; WSCG; DCS Gasser; Humphrey's Cabinet Smoker.

BGE does pizza, Low and Slow, and is the overflow for WSCG for grill duty if I need more real-estate during a party

WSCG does daily grilling; Indirect; Reverse Sear; Spatchcock Chicken, Vortex Wings and Thighs; Two Zone Cooking; Direct Grilling Burgers and Dogs; Searing Sous Vide Proteins; Low and Slow (can fill BGE with Butts and do Ribs on WSCG); Cast Iron Cooking; Wok Cooking; Yakitori; paella

DCS does quick weeknight meals. Searing, burgers, regular grill stuff when I don't have time to do charcoal. Also fitted with griddle for smash burgers and teppanyaki, fried rice, etc. Side burners used for searing with cast iron.

Cabinet used for big events, graduations, Superbowl, etc

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here