Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those with multiple cookers: how do you choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jfrosty27
    commented on 's reply
    I agree that the Genesis rotisserie leaves room for improvement. This grill was my only grill to start. The spinner is all I can justify using for.

• Steve R.
    replied
    Right now I have a Weber 26" and a Ranch kettle, along with a Ducane gas grill my FIL gifted us when they were downsizing a couple of years ago. The Ducane sits on the deck right outside the kitchen, so it gets used for quick grilling jobs during the week, and that's about it for me. The two kettles are both outfitted with PartyQ's for smoking, so choosing one is a matter of how large a quantity I need to cook.
    Last edited by Steve R.; May 13, 2020, 06:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I have a Genesis II 4 burner, and the rotisserie is the worst thing I ever spent money on. So little clearance, even a 5 pound bird is slapping the flavorizer bars unless I truss very tightly. I feel like Weber had an epic fail on the design of the Genesis II over the Summit or original Genesis when it comes to the rotisserie mounting points.

• jfmorris
    replied
    Mosca I am with you on this one. I have a Weber Performer with SNS, a big Weber gas grill, and an offset that doubles as a charcoal grill for large events with its 24x36 grate. I would LIKE some other cookers, but have trouble justifying it.

For me, if I have TIME, and it will FIT, my Performer kettle is my preferred cooker for both grilling and smoking, as I love the flavor from cooking over charcoal, and for smoking, it uses about 1/5 the fuel of the offset. If I don't have time for charcoal or am grilling more than the kettle will hold, I'll fire up the gas grill for grilling. If I am smoking, I will only fire up the offset if it won't fit the kettle.

I imagine if I had a WSM 22 like I keep saying I want, I would use it for smoking if smoking more than the kettle will hold using the SNS. It would effectively replace my offset, which is old, leaky and inefficient. As far as steaks go - I don't think the PK would taste any different than the kettle.

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    replied
    I have 5 cookers and use them all. Each one has a specific use. No overlap. My primary cooker is my Rec Tec RT700 pellet cooker. I have a small gasser for quick sear of brats, burgers, reverse sear of steak and the like. Weber Genesis 2 for rotisserie cooking. Smokin-It electric smoker for fish only. Lastly, The Orion Cooker for fast cooks of lots of meat. (20lb turkey in 2.5 hrs, 3 pork buts in 5 hr, 6 racks of ribs in 1.5 hrs,etc) so choosing is not an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    started a topic For those with multiple cookers: how do you choose?

For those with multiple cookers: how do you choose?

I have a BGE and a Weber Kettle. The BGE does all the low/slow, the Kettle gets all the grilling.
    ​​​​​​
    I can't imagine needing anything else. I can imagine wanting other things: a WSM, a PBC, a nice gasser, a PK, etc. But that would only create another issue. If I had a WSM (for example), why would I choose to do ribs there instead of the BGE? If I also had a PK, why do steaks there instead of the Kettle?

Believe me, I understand wanting cool new toys. I just don't understand actually having them.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here