Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those with multiple cookers: how do you choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barelfly
    replied
    I have a gasser, the Weber Kettle and my Smokin-it smoker. Also have a WSM style smoker but I don’t use it.

The gasser gets the "need to get dinner on the table" duties, the kettle gets the "I have time to have fun" duties and the smoker gets the majority of the long cooks because I don’t have to baby sit it.

That’s how I choose....I guess there’s some method to that madness!

Leave a comment:

• jumbo7676
    replied
    I have a GMG pellet grill, a Weber gasser, and 2 Performers. I got the pellet first, then added the gasser for short cooks. I added a Performer later because I wanted to switch from gas to charcoal (except when I wanted/needed the convenience of the gasser) and added the 2nd one because I found it for $20 on Craig's List. If I had a Performer and SnS first I probably would not own the pellet grill. If I hadn't caught the 2nd Performer so cheap before anyone else claimed it, I wouldn't have that one either. So I have four cookers when I should probably only have two, but it's due to the timing and circumstances of the purchases.

As far as deciding what to use, the gasser has it's obvious use - quick and easy and it is on my deck and not my patio, which means no stairs to deal with from the kitchen. The GMG gets used if I need more space than a Performer with SnS allows or for the convenience of it since it is also on the deck and starting it requires flipping a switch vs lighting up coals and trying to regulate the temp.

The Performers are my preferred cookers. I guess I should the the Performer since I have yet to fire both up at the same time and I don't see the need anytime soon with no large gathering in the near future. I prefer the smoke profile when smoking vs the GMG and I prefer charcoal grilling over the gasser. I have a Slow n Sear, a Vortex, and a rotisserie for the kettles which adds some versatility and also allows me to cook a few different ways if I was to light 'em both up. But they are on my patio and I have to wheel them out from under the deck, off the patio and onto the grass when I want to use them and there are stairs between them and my kitchen, so if I feel like being lazy or for any of the reasons mentioned earlier, one of the other grills gets the call.

So I am set at four grills and at four I shall remain. Any new grill would require sending an old one off to a new home and the only ways I see that happening would be either winning the Pit "Great Giveaway", finding a 26" inch kettle at a cheap price to replace one of the Performers (I've always got an eye out for one), or stumbling upon another crazy deal online like I did with my 2nd Performer.

Leave a comment:

• tenphases
    commented on 's reply
    Awwwww man I wanna visit!!

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    Horsepower is awesome. But if you can't go fast with 90 horsepower, then 900 isn't going to help you.

• lonnie mac
    replied
    Grills and Motorcycles... Never enough.

Click image for larger version  Name:	13308352_10208422077286278_5798970448457761138_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	845609

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    The one I really had to talk myself out of was one of those old cast iron kamado looking things. I can't think of the name now. It was really cool, and pretty cheap used. I had to remind myself that it wouldn't be worth having to explain.

Edit: It was called a Cook 'n Kettle. $200 with many of the accessories.
    Last edited by Mosca; May 13, 2020, 06:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tenphases
    replied
    What is this "need" word you speak of?
    Last edited by tenphases; May 13, 2020, 06:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• USMCCrashCrew89
    replied
    I’ve got a KJ, a Weber performer and a WSM. I started off with an Akorn and when that rusted out got the KJ. I love it but picked up the Weber kettle off the Book of Faces pretty cheap and have found it much more versatile than the KJ. I got the WSM cheap at a yard sale and haven’t really played with it too much but I can see it being extra cooking capacity for ribs, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Bob
    replied
    Hi, my name is Bob. (HI Bob). And I'm a gizmoholic. Thank God my fellow Texan, Troutman broke that log jam of sensible thinking earlier. Hey, if it interests you, and you can get it without raiding the rent money...…...…..GO FOR IT!!!!! Patio too small? Great, another reason to build a bigger one! Come on people, this is the UNITED STATES of AMERICA (and friends)..…......……..look up the translation of E Pluribus Unum! I'm pretty sure it translates to, "More is gooder, and more still is gooder still", or something like that.

BTW, anybody out there in the market for a well kept Kamado Joe, or a couple of barrel cookers? I'm asking for a friend...……….you know.
    Last edited by Uncle Bob; May 13, 2020, 05:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JimLinebarger
    commented on 's reply
    I didn't take it as a diss but as you said a real question. Which sometimes is a difficult question. But, I will forbid you from talking to my wife! She thinks I am done. But I haven't won the grand prize yet and there must be new smokers/grills out there that I haven't seen yet. So, I kinda am in Troutman 's corner.

• jerrybell
    replied
    I have a Weber Genesis gasser, Weber Performer 26" and a Cabela's 24" pellet cooker. I like the convenience of the gasser for fast cooks and the pellet cooker for slow cooks.

I got the Performer when I needed some extra capacity for a large cook a few years ago. I enjoy using it for either slow or fast cooks when I have the time and just want to change things up. Wife doesn't care for grilled foods over charcoal, so it's rare I'm doing that. I keep the Performer around for those times when I need more cook space.

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    replied
    To me it's like with more horsepower...........if you have to ask you won't understand.............just because is a good answer.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    Just so’s you know, I don’t want anyone to think I’m dissing them. It’s a genuine question. I’m enjoying the education. It won’t change me, but I’m not looking to change anyone either. I want to understand.

Leave a comment:

• JimLinebarger
    replied
    How do I choose? It all depends.

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    replied
    I have a kamado, a KBQ, a PK-O, and a rather large (for residential use) offset stick burner. The stick burner, obviously, isn't used much - just when I cook multiple briskets or pork butts. I'll usually cook some chicken and/or pork belly too if I go to the trouble of firing it up.

The kamado does a lot of my single brisket/pork butt/pork belly/rib cooks as well as most sausage cooks. I also use it for pizza.

The KBQ now does most of my ribs and smoked chicken. I haven't done a pork belly burnt end cook on it yet but suspect it will be the go-to cooker for that. It did a great job smoking my summer sausage.

The PK-O is now my go-to for all things grilling: burgers over direct heat, most marinated chicken cooks (with a 2 zone set up), or doing steaks and other red meats (usually 2 zone reverse sear).

Would like a Santa Maria grill too but I can get by without one for now.
    Last edited by 58limited; May 13, 2020, 04:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here