Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickled EVERYTHING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pickled EVERYTHING

Given the time we have on our hands, I thought this would be a good time to try pickling some stuff. For those who are into it, I have two questions:
    1. The recipe on amazingribs.com mentions to refrigerate it once you're done. Is that necessary? I only ask because most of these items I see at stores and farmer's markets are kept at room temp.
    2. To get some spice into it, you recommend adding sliced jalapenos (or some other whole or chopped pepper), or maybe just adding cayenne pepper during the mixing process?

As always I appreciate the help!

Fermented pickles utilize lactic acid bacteria that works at room temp and produce the required acid. Think dill pickles, sauerkraut etc. usually started with a salt solution to encourage the correct bacteria. Takes weeks to ferment and the bacteria is happy enough at room temp.

On the other hand, refrigerator pickles you just start straight away with about a 2.5% acid solution (50/50 vinegar and water) plus the required salt. Most regular vinegars are ~5%. Rice wine and some others are closer to 4% so you either don’t use those or adjust for their percentage.

Comment

"The Art of Fermentation" by Sandor Katz. Ultimate pickle reference book. https://www.amazon.com/Art-Fermentat...8474154&sr=8-1

Comment

Here is some reliable information:

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here