Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just read this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just read this

Apparently Restaurant Depot is opening to the public. Perhaps there is one near you.

some one posted about Prime meat being available in their normal grocer but didn’t see that one on a search. Was gonna piggyback on it.

A lot of hotels and restaurants here are selling food/groceries to public, hopefully it helps them survive

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
      ddmcwhirter commented
      Editing a comment
      They are doing that here also. I saw California or maybe a lesser jurisdiction shut it down...no permit?

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      We are selling family dinners.

I may have to break out and check it out. Right now I use the Costco business up on Beach but I would like to be able to compare them.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve shopped a few times at the one on Gothard. North of talbert.

Looks like I got one 5 miles away. Thanks for the heads up, Homey.

Comment

• LDimick
      LDimick commented
      Editing a comment
      It is in the Walmart parking lot.

I've been to RD once when I was doing a big charity cook, I used my church's membership to get in. At that time I was looking to buy large amounts of food.

Are there things that make sense to buy at RD for a regular household? Is this the time to find kitchen equipment (if so, what)? Or is there not a lot for the average Joe?

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Odds and ends and bulk stuff. Frozen stuff, booze, staples, paper goods, to go containers. Need a 1000 pack of chopsticks?

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      I like their bone in butts,choice briskets(not quite as good as costco prime) got a 25lb. shoulder clod once,and can sometimes find good dino ribs.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Stainless Steel work tables are a thing that I've been looking at, as my new house will have the basement turned into a project area for me and the wife. Wife for potting and me for dry age, butchering and bread. Better price on that than Uline...

Little known fact: you don't actually have to buy a whole case of butts, for example. You can open a case, and they will weigh and label a 2-pack for you to buy.

Comment

There isn't one close enough to me to make it reasonable to make the trip during the plague. Too bad. I've always wanted to go. A few years ago when I took out a KCBS membership, I got a one day pass to RD but never got around to using it.

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        That is how I've gone to RD, on my KCBS membership. Went s week ago and bought a pack of Select TT. $3.49/lb untrimmed. After trimming, the cost jumped to ~$6.20/lb. Next time buying trimmed CAB TT.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        TripleB Grind that stuff. Delicious.

I have a membership card a friend of mine gave me to use. I went on a Saturday or Sunday and they had just closed. Oddly, I haven't gone back again.

Comment

What is a 60 pound beef clod...I think I want one!

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
          ddmcwhirter commented
          Editing a comment
          A friend took me to one, where I saw massive primal cuts, and usually marked Angus choice or better. Massive roast cuts and the "clod." We didn't buy anything because the food truck people were lined up thirty feet and pushing carts loaded with hundreds of pounds of stuff.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          That shoulder clod is a beast. We cooked those as a kid. Relatives welded together cut drums for lids over pits. A lot of chili and veggies. Potatoes too. All kind of stuff in there.

I couldn't find anything about allowing the general public to shop there on their site....

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Just tell’em you read it in the pit.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Mention my name. They'll pause and they'll say "who now?" and when you repeat it they'll say "Yeah, we don't know who that is." It won't get you in, but it will be a fun time, I promise.

I finally stopped into Restaurant Depot. I got bread making equipment, mixing bowls, cambro food storage containers, a nice griddle scraper, 3/4 sheet pan and rack, stocked up on oils and vinegars. Plus other random stuff. Thanks for the tip HouseHomey

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          You are welcome. What the measurements on the rack? Haven’t been able to find them here.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          18 x 26"

I knew it might not fit in my oven and it doesn't. I think I will use it to soak my grates I guess. Also I'll use it with its rack for cooling stuff.

HouseHomey

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here