Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to cook heart healthy. Cannot give up my smoking meats!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cruiseplanner1
    commented on 's reply
    I agree on the principal of that statement but when you have a beautiful set of baby backs coming out of your smoker hard to stick with just two or three bones. Or a beautiful brisket and some homemade flour tortillas to wrap it in...…..lol

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    BBQPhil that is one of the reasons I make my own BBQ sauces. I will use Grade B maple syrup and always stay away from corn syrup.

• BBQPhil
    commented on 's reply
    HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) is being used in too many bbq sauces and is a turn off of for me. . Hopefully more of the sauce manufacturers will get wise and eliminate it. It's terribly unhealthy.

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    In research I have found "listen" to yer Dr. isn’t necessarily the best thing. There is a fellow by the name of Dr. Lustig, YouTube him, you might be in for a jolt.

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    Exactly. Don't eat the high fat stuff as often but no need to never eat it again either. Find the right middle ground.

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    Even when I'm actively trying to lose weight I do allow the occasional indulgence. Otherwise, I'd go crazy.

• smokin fool
    replied
    Todays word of the day: Moderation
    Everything in Moderation

Leave a comment:

• snowswamp
    replied
    What works for me may not work for you. I have not had a heart attack, a bypass, or diabetes. I’m trying to avoid them since everyone on my fathers side has had them all. I have recently adjusted my diet now to create habits that I hope help me to reduce the impacts, or even avoid the runaway train of genealogy. I would say be skeptical, look at data and science. Listen to your doctor. Fear of pain, sacrifice, and death will impact our logic. Get educated from science and not a web blog. Be skeptical of labels like "super foods" and know the nutritional info when buying. Make a plan with your doctor, family, and friends and stick to it with love and support from them. Cheat occasionally to reward yourself. There’s no point in living if you never have a little decadence. Understand what impacts that decadence has and plan for it. See it as not loosing foods but gaining others you may not have tried. Good luck. It’s been hard for me but even after a couple weeks I’m feeling better and see the happiness in my wife and children’s eyes that I’m working hard to be there for them for a long, long time.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    In 2017 I did WW and lost 58 pounds. I've put 10 back on and have stayed there. I really need to do it again. It would be really nice to take off 20 based on where I'm at right now. My wife has been doing WW and she's lost 35 pounds. She's also on an elimination diet - we're trying to find out which food groups she's allergic to. This allergy causes her esophagus to swell a bit which makes swallowing food more difficult. Fortunately, she can eat meat so she doesn't miss out on the Q

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Wow, congrats to you and your wife on losing the weight. Impressive.

Kathryn

• FireMan
    replied
    I eat the skin on chicken & the fat on meat & a fair amount of bacon. Lost 30# in the last 6 mos, wife lost 20, got her off of statins. By.............tryin to quit sugar. I say tryin cuz it is really hard, bein it’s in everything. BBQ is OK, it’s the sugar that’s not, & that especially includes HFCS! (most bbq sauces have it.)

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    Bone in skin on whole birds are great in the smoker. You’ll want to run in the 300-350 range.

Yes the skin has a little fat (I don’t eat the skin) but overall it is way more lean than a pork butt. Also the medical industry has been retooling their recommendations, fat isn’t nearly as bad as was believed prior. Some fats are called, good fats, and olive oil is one of them. My overall cholesterol level is a tad high but the bad cholesterol level is low and the good cholesterol is high.
    Last edited by JeffJ; March 27, 2020, 02:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    Chicken thighs are great in a 375* smoke/grill. They are a staple of our outdoor summer.

• Attjack
    replied
    You can eat as many vegetables as you want so eat as many as you can.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I recently purchased boneless skinless thighs for the first time when making Chicken Paprikash, and its one of my new favorite chicken cuts.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here