Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Tips for the Perfect BBQ (Cookout)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Tips for the Perfect BBQ (Cookout)

Hey gang! Short and sweet.. What are a few of the things you do to kick your BBQs up to the next level, aside from making sure everyone drinks their weight?

For instance, I put out little cans of bugs spray for folks. I have also started designating a smoking area off to the side with it's own light, a little table w/ashtray, and a couple seats so the smoke doesn't bother non-smokers.
    (I live in DC so that has become a popular area recently... )

I personally have tried to be more involved with my guests. For years I was too busy cooking and worrying about the food to really be a part of the party. Now I’m starting everything early so I can always hold in a faux cambro, using sous vide to get a head start on certain foods, and just trying to relax and be a part of the group. I know I’m enjoying the get togethers more, and I think my guests do to.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      In the one year of learning bbq, I recommend what Donw says. After all it’s about the environment, otherwise, sounds like you have put a lot of thought together already.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I too am evolving to this method.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I need to get to this mode more - I am usually manning the grill and missing out, unless its pulled pork or brisket, that I can have done in advance.

I’m throwing together a fire pit night. My guests are bringing their own food and cooking over a live fire! Should be fun!

Comment

• KarchyBBQ
      KarchyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      This is a good one. Open grill or fire night is one that’s always a hit with my friends too.

My friends are non-smokers so no smoking areas for me really. I do have plenty of appetizers/hors d'ouvers. People love to eat, and they love to eat even before they eat the main course. For us it's cheese, crackers, salami, grapes, and wine.

Comment

Lots of hooch

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        ….want Bourbon, want Scotch, want Beer....

Good and interesting sides.

if you want to or need to be cooking up until the party, and depending on what your serving, I suggest serving from a table set up near your grill/smoker like a ‘cue joint. This works well with burgers, brisket, pulled pork, ribs, wings, and i tend to try it when I have a few meat options - i.e. pulled pork or wings. But you need a little space. People can grab a drink and wait in line to order and be served. You get a little time with everyone and your closest friends will hang there with you anyway to spy on your setup or help. I really enjoy doing it this way. I’m an introvert and it’s a better way for me to talk with people because my hands are busy and I get to see everybody.

Comment

• KarchyBBQ
        KarchyBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, good fixins or sauces... if you’re doing pork carnitas and have a taco option, make sure you have some gringo toppings (e.g., shredded lettuce, tomatoes), some toppings you’d get on a street taco (eg, diced onions, slivered radishes), and different salsas.

"...aside from making sure everyone drinks their weight?"

Yeah well ya lost me there.

Comment

Whenever we have people over and its for a "meal", I'm talking brisket, pork butt, WIBS. The meat is usually already done and on hold. Also, no smokers here, ever since I quit. So its a cocktail hour and then we dive in. But we are out in the "country" not in DC.

Comment

You mentioned being outside, I always like good tunes and lawn games. That always brings some fun. And a fire pit for the later hours. Nice way to wrap up the evening with friends.

Comment

Have it catered... seriously lol...

that aside...

you should really checkout:

Famous Dave’s Barbecue Party Cookbook, eat laugh party!

fan of his restaurants or not it is a good book with a lot of cool tips on taking your party next level... kind of the premise of the book.

side note: I met Famous Dave at a Friends of OBR fundraiser and he seemed like a really genuine great guy and was very generous.
            Last edited by Nate; April 15, 2020, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	987B5F5A-3E73-4E39-8206-78BC9868666C.png
Views:	305
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	814447 Two or Three of these around (If you can find them)

Comment

Clean as you go and finish early. Good quality and a lovely hand soap in the bathroom. The good toilet paper with aloe.
                Last edited by HouseHomey; March 13, 2020, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• ofelles
                  ofelles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Heck, I would show up just to get my bum pampered!

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's the little details that are so important.

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ofelles I’m sorry I’m down to 3 mega packs of 12 each but perhaps a nice leaf from the lemon tree will work. CaptainMike always the details my friend.

I always encourage my guests to hang out with me while I'm working the grills/smokers. My wife loves the Kettle Pizza accessory for really small gatherings. By the time we get to the 4th pie one of the guests will have taken over the fast cooking process including yanking it out with a pizza peel.

Comment

Hey y'all! Sorry for posting this topic then disappearing for a month... That was literally my last day at work before the world turned upside down. (working from home now) These are fantastic suggestions though! I knew they would be Hopefully my early Summer BBQ will transition to a late Summer BBQ so I can incorporate all of this! I'll have to see if I can get some lemon tree leaves from the Websturantstore though...

Comment

My wife and I grill and time our ribs and rib tips to finish about an hour before guests arrive and keep them in the oven at 180.. Each guest brings something of their choice and we have a nice deck party with about twelve of us at a time. This is a Labor Day tradition although we do other ones through the summer. When you live in Michigan you have to take advantage of the few nice months.

Comment

• JeffJ
                      JeffJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I totally agree about taking advantage of the summer months in Michigan as I'm a lifelong Michigander.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here