Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokin’ for a Crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokin’ for a Crowd

I’ve been asked to prepare a menu and meal for 50 people that will feature smoked meats, sides, etc. Couple challenges: it’s not near my house so I won’t have my smoker.
    Other than telling me I’m crazy for saying yes (this is what you do for your kids), any suggestions, tips, etc?
    Thanks!

Pulled pork. Easily smoked and pulled a head of time and then reheated for the meal without loss of quality.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      I‘ll second that. Depending on timing you might be able to finish and keep it hot in an ice chest for 4-6 hours. I would go with classic BBQ sides of slaw, potato salad and beans all of which would make the trip well. I am assuming you are driving and not flying.

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      Good suggestions. I have found that those big oven bags, the kind some people cook turkeys in, are great for large amounts of pulled pork. Heat it up, then put the bags in the cambro. Pull them out and put in the serving pan.

What do you have to work with cooker wise?

Pulled Pork makes a lot for a little. Pit Beef/Turkey/Ham are faster and easy.

Potato/Macaroni/Pasta salad are nice you can make in advance to save time.

Cooking for crowds always do as much prep work as you can so when it is game time you are just grilling/smoking and then slicing and serving. Make a checklist and run through it a few times.

If you are cooking ahead of time....
    How do caterers hold cooked meats safely for so long? It's called a hotbox or Cambro and you can make a faux Cambro with a simple beer cooler. It's the secret to resting large cuts of BBQ like brisket, pork butts, and whole turkeys while keeping them warm and transporting them. Here's how to set up a faux Cambo.

Good luck!

Last edited by Voodoo628; March 2, 2020, 07:00 AM. Reason: I have the IQ of a rock....

Comment

Stick to big hunks of meat that can be Cambria and the pulled or sliced at the event after the hold. Pork shoulders, brisket, Chuck roasts and the such. Beans are messy to transport, so mac&cheese, potato salad, slaw. Brownies transport well for dessert. Bring sauces in big Mason jars, and just trash them after the event, along with disposable hotel pans for the main and sides.

Comment

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        I try to reuse what I can especially Mason jars...

Sides like baked mac and cheese and baked beans can be prepared in advance and thrown into the oven of the host just before the party starts. Then, chafing dishes and crock pots can keep hot food hot. I agree above regarding pork butt.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Super helpful. I will let you know how it turns out!

Comment

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent. And since you’ll have your transportation issues figured out send some samples!

I was thinking a little differently. This would be a great opportunity to get a nice 60" Lang and cook on site!

Comment

• gcrawf
          gcrawf commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the way you think!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here