Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not sure I've ever sent my food back to the kitchen before, but I did today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure I've ever sent my food back to the kitchen before, but I did today.

My wife and I spent a pleasant weekend down in Orlando at her annual convention for flute players, so she was having more fun than work compared to her usual routine when we go to her scientific conferences. On our way back home, we stopped for brunch at a place we had tried last year and liked.

We both got excited when today's brunch menu included chilaquiles. That's a dish we both love, so we both ordered it rather than getting two things to share back and forth.

What a shock when the plates came out! For $12 each, what we got was a fried egg covered with a small amount of a thin sauce. We each got about three micro tortilla chips. I swear they were a quarter inch at the wide end and tapered to nothing over the expansive run of a half inch. There was also a tiny dab of sour cream (maybe a teaspoon?) and three or four very thin slices of jalapeno. That's it. That was the dish.

I tried a couple of bites and decided that this was just not right. I called the host over and explained that these plates simply didn't qualify as chilaquiles, which is based on a heap of chips doused in a very spicy sauce and eggs. (I didn't do the full lecture that there probably should be some cheese involved and usually even another protein like chicken). He didn't react too well at first, claiming that they have their own take on dishes. He did remove the plates, take them off the ticket and allow us to order something else.

I'm glad I didn't lose my cool, because he came back a couple of minutes later and apologized, saying he'd never worked before where they serve chilaquiles and that after discussing things with the manager, he was told that we were entirely correct about what the dish really is.

I'm pretty sure I've never before told a restaurant something along the lines of "I'm sorry, but that dish just doesn't qualify as what you called it." But that plate just didn't cut it. And I was too hungry to pay $12 for an egg and call it brunch. The $10 burger filled me up...

Good for you. I am not that good, I just eat and suck it up, or just not eat and never go back. Hopefully they adjust their menu or that dish from your experience.

Comment

• TheQuietOne
      TheQuietOne commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I do too. I don't like confrontations - even polite ones.

I mean it literally translates into sauced shredded tortillas...sonds like they use LITTLE tortillas...

Comment

That reminds me of when I was a kid and we took our vacation. You read that right, we went on one vacation when I was growing up, my father was a truck driver, so for him vacation was staying home. But don't feel too bad, I lived close enough to Disneyland I could see the fireworks every night and we went there every year, to the point I can't stand amusement parks. But I digressed, while on our vacation we were told to stop at the 'Nut Tree' in Vacaville, CA, supposedly the food was the greatest. We were seated and served water, then handed the menus. My father came unseated when he saw the prices. After several minutes of grumbling and putting off the waitress a couple of times, he told us to get up and we were going someplace else.

I'm like Richard Chrz I just suffer through and never go back. Kudos to you for standing up.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        They have a captive audience. The only other thing there is a prison.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually, I believe it's the prison that has the captive audience, HouseHomey.

I try never to send stuff back but apparently.... I’m notorious for it according to Sophia anyway. I don’t trust the cooks when I send stuff back, but I do it anyway. Ugh. I generally do it nicely though so hopefully that gets relayed.

Good for you sending it back. Having your own interpretation is ok and I get it. But there does need to be a correlation.

I’m ok if the the plate is meager for the cost so long as it’s executed well and presented in a fashion that warrants the small portion . Or maybe something like Wagyu v prime or Heratige breed v commodity. You get my meaning.

Those upgrades should be conveyed in the menu as that would have me expecting a smaller portion for something that is a normal cost.

nice work sir!

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, absolutely on a smaller than expected serving being okay if executed well and presented beautifully. But as you said, there needs to be a correlation of the dish with what they called it.

Here's hoping I never have to do something like that again.

ComfortablyNumb Above that lemon tree I can see the fireworks.
      CaptainMike BTW I used my head lamp this morning and WOW!!! What a great gift. That’s a fair distance the spot hits that wall. I was getting Chechen ready for a brisket when I remembered my light.

Look at that back wall light up at 45’ or so.

Click image for larger version

Name:	668914A4-A285-4B4B-A978-25FEA2A685B5.jpeg
Views:	352
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	796344

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweet!! My rescue pro bro's swear by that headlamp.

I really don't like sending food back, but if it's bad enough, I will...

My wife and I were having lunch at the Cheesecake Factory several, years ago and I had to send a burger back because it was so hard on the bottom I could not bite through it. Tapping that side sounded like tapping on something hard. The manager came over to apologize and he comped the entire meal. Then the kitchen manager came over and apologized, and then the cook came to the table and apologized. We still eat there occasionally when on that side of town, but I have not been lucky enough to get another burger like that...

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow the cook too? I would have been too embarrassed sending a burger out like that.

I don’t like sending food back in fear I may get sick. However, I also won’t pay for something that isn’t right.

Honestly, my wife once ordered chicken on her birthday years ago and received a steak at the most known restaurant in town. My kids were having heart attacks when I nicely called the waitress back to address the situation. They didn’t want controversy on mom’s birthday. The waitress had her manager come over who very sternly and angrily said my wife ordered steak and we were paying for it. My wife has never ordered steak in a restaurant. I am the steak guru. Wrong response. A lengthy email to the owner revealed we weren’t the only ones with complaints about the issue and we never saw her again. I turned down a free dinner for four because my complaint was on principle.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I will most certainly sacrifice my principles for free food. Good on you sir. 😃

Reminds me of my honeymoon (why do they call it that) in 72’, camping along the St. Lawrence Seaway headin on up to Montreal. There was this high falootin restaurant that was recommended by my wife’s uncle, that we were headed for. No, we didn’t camp in Montreal, we did spend that part in a hotel. We got to this eatin place & they lent me a tie. Don’t recall if it fit my decor, but I had somethin around my neck cuz it was required.
      So, we get to orderin & everything was fine with a very French accent. I ordered Filet de Sole. What I was served was a boney fish. So I called the waiter over to explain the dilemma we were in. He explained to me "monsiuer, the fish has to have some bones in it, it can’t be perfect". I explained, that I know a little about fish & understand about perfection, but when I order a filet I expect something close to boneless not like a slab of bluegill. He took it back and got me another one, same slab of boneyville. That was the extent of my "service" by a very snobby, now it was, the matre de. Didn’t send it back, but had the pleasure of leaving a nickel (Canadian) tip.
      Last edited by FireMan; January 26, 2020, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        You just don't serve a customer something that can choke them and cause a lawsuit. Probably a case of 'give the foreigner the junk'.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, you met the Hunchback? Oh, different story with a Church.

Man you had me rolling with that story. I choked on my own spit. You crack me up man.
        Last edited by HouseHomey; January 26, 2020, 09:52 PM.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Sanctuary, sanctuary, sanctuary!

I don't think I've ever had to do that thankfully. Well, once I ordered some fancy lobster dip at a Red Ginger. It had chunks of thin plastic in it, like the clear lid you pull off a sour cream container, there were slices of that stirred into the dip somehow. It didn't taste too good anyway so instead of a replacement I got something else and for free. Thankfulyl that's my only real experience with that. I'm not picky though: no plastic? not raw? no runny egg whites? I'll eat it.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow. What are the odds that’s your only experience. Good for you. You are right about the bones comment above. We painstakingly break down whole salmon for that reason. We also French a breast when breaking down whole Pasture birds. so we serve Airline breast and use the best (mid section of the wing and tip ) part for stock.

• johnmcq4
        johnmcq4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was recently working as a contractor at a newly opened corporate office with food service. I had a bowl of chili and found shredded plastic in it. I got a few slivers out of my mouth and figured well that happens sometimes. A few spoons later I pulled out a pretty good sized piece of shredded plastic and decided I can't eat this. I didn't see any of the managers so I talked to one of the grill workers. She went over and stirred the chile pot a bit and asked if I would like another bowl.
        Last edited by johnmcq4; January 29, 2020, 09:41 PM.

• johnmcq4
        johnmcq4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not from the the same pot. I asked for something else. A manager pulled it from the buffet about 10 minutes later. Just a lack of training for a new operation.
        Last edited by johnmcq4; January 29, 2020, 09:43 PM. Reason: Cant spell, type, or compose a proper sentence.

was at a Logan's roadhouse and ordered a bone in rib eye cooked extra rare (waiter didn't understand blue). I got a medium cooked strip. I explained the issue, and they brought me back a medium rare strip... I told the waiter that it wasn't a bone in rib eye, or even a rib eye at all for that matter. His response "well when you cook as many steaks as we do, sometimes the bone cooks out..." what does that even mean?!?!?! I ate it, paid and only tipped 10% (I usually tip 35%), HOWEVER I left a rather nasty note on the store copy of the receipt.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, when you low & slow a bone-in ribeye, take it to 203, while keeping it rare, and then crutch and cambro it, the bone will cook out. Do you know nothing of steaks?

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Next time a person who clearly knwos nothing and is trying to pull a fast one on me I think I just might call them out on it. "Oh? How exactly does the bone, as you say, "cook out"?" I've had people say things to me from time to time that I just ignore and smile at them in the interest of being a polite person, but one of these days I'll just do it.

• johnmcq4
        johnmcq4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was looking to buy a tv years ago and the tv I was looking at had blotches of colors on the screen. The appliance store salesman said this one was tipped over during shipment and spilled the colors out. Uh, I work as a video engineer for a living, it was nice to meet you. Goodbye.

Good thing you complained. And kudos to the restaurant for apologizing and realizing they did wrong. All good in the end. I’ve had too many experiences with snobby/stuck up restaurant staff not willing to accept they are wrong/screwed up.

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. Admitting they were wrong meant a lot to me. We really want to like the place and are still leaning against ever going back, but that move at least kept the door open for when we are in the area next year.

I am a suspicious sort, so if I send something back, I usually just pass on whatever they offer as a replacement.

Comment

Jim that was big of them to admit it like you said above. Kudos to the manager too. Can you share the name of the restaurant?? Or PM me. Little known fact... I read menus as a hobby.

I Constantly Solicit opinions from my banquet staff adjust if needed my food, process and service timing. I even keep a log of those things so when those customers come back it gives me an edge like... they really like berries or less potatoes more veggies or xtra spicy for 2 people in that group.

Give them another shot. I would be interested to know what their plate has become. Perhaps next year. How was the 10 dollar burger? Those are even expensive to make these days. At a profit anyway.

good for you keeping an open mind.
        Last edited by HouseHomey; January 27, 2020, 07:59 AM.

Comment

My Grandmother managed and later owned a restaurant for about 25 years. She wanted people to tell her if they were unhappy, so she had a chance to make it right and not lose them as a customer. And, she returned the favor when she was dining out and something wasn't satisfactory to her.

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            My wife's aunt, or my aunt-in-law, ran a restaurant for awhile and she used to say that if you don't tell her what is wrong, she can't fix it. She was right of course.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here