Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Sear

I've been experimenting with Meatheads reverse sear method, and I like the results. I use a Big Green Ggg ceramic cooker which Meathead contends is difficult to use for reverse sear since you can't effectively build a two zone fire. I bought a Ash Dragon which divides the firebox into two sections and got good results. Recently I bought a Kamodo Joe Jr and wondered what would happen if I cooked the chicken to an internal temperature with some wood chips and the diffuser as step one in the reverse sear and then lifted the diffuser, raised the temperature 300+ to finish searing. Tonight I pounded boneless skinless chicken breast, inserted a internal thermometer and smoked them for about 24 minutes in until they reached 140° finishing them off with the sear to 165. They turne out pretty, juicy and good. Anyone else experimenting with reverse sear?

I haven't been - but I want to. I have the older KJ classic and mine didn't come with the fancy new 'divide and conquer' system. The next time I break the heat deflector (yeah, I said the next time...on my 3rd one) I am going to spring for it so I can do some reverse searing.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you can still reverse sear with your set up. Here's how set up with your diffuser to smoke at whatever temperature you like. I did my chicken breast at 225. When they are about 40 degrees from being done pull the diffuser and run you KJ up to searing temp. Then put you grill on without the diffuser and sear about 2 minutes each side until you reach the desired internal temperature.

With a BGE I've discovered that the reverse sear is not a left and right situation like on a kettle. It is up and down and heat control. I don't use my plate setter at all for cooking steaks. I load my firebox so the lump is 2" from the top. I put the GX grill extender on top of the firebox. I put the regular grate on top of the fire ring. I bring the temp up to 250 degrees and bake the steaks until they reach 115 degrees. I open the dome, take the steaks off and put them on a plate and open the bottom vent wide open. I remove the top grate. Then while the lump is getting to warp 10 I blot the steaks and paint some beef love on them. Then when the fire is hot I put them on the bottom grate and sear them. Works like a champ! The GX grill extender is a BGE product that was designed to fit on top of your firebox without removing your fire ring. It sells for $25.
    Last edited by Breadhead; April 9, 2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

I like your idea. I have a Woo from the ceramic grill store which holds the plate setter and has handles for easy lifting. So, I can add the grill extender below the fire ring and on top of the fire box. Then I can cook with the grill on top of the plate setter at 225' remove the plate setter and grill and then sear over gril extender. Can't wait to try it, but with just my wife and I the Same method is working great on the Kamodo Jo Jr. I really like how much faster it cooks because of the close proximity of the dome to the food.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        We all have our own way of doing things. My question to you is why do you feel a need to bother with your plate setter at all when your dome is closed and you have a low temp of 225 degrees? That low temp has no flame at all so there is no need to block the flame. It's the same as having it in your kitchen oven.

In the Joe Jr. The distance from the bottom of the firebox to the grill level is only 6 inches, and your sear level in the BGE is 5 3/4 inches from the bottom of the firebox. I think 6 inches would be too close to the fire, so I use the diffuser to shield the food. I have not use this method on the BGE, but stumbled on it when I realized that the Joe Jr. cooked faster because of the smaller dome. I want to try your method on the BGE soon, since I think it will work better than the Ash Dragon, and I don't think I will need the plate setter. The Joe Jr. like the BGE MiniMax is like a BGE small with the extra distance from the bottom of the firebox to the grill removed.

Comment

I do reverse sear on my BGE. I use the cast iron grate, no platesetter, and do the steaks @ 225 to an internal of 115*. Then I take them off the grate, pop the temp to 550*+, and put them back on, about 2 minutes a side. Sorry the photos are out of order! Anyhow, my point is don't overcomplicate it. There's no harm in taking the steaks off the grill for a couple minutes while the temp climbs.
        Last edited by Mosca; April 12, 2015, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here