Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to cook for potential clients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to cook for potential clients

Hi all,

so next saturday I have some poetial clients coming around for a big smoke up, that wan tto see the reverse low smoker is use before they buy. I have a bout 15 people coming over and at a little quandary as to what to make. I would like to make a selectoin of foods so maybe some canapies and a main or entree and main. Or maybe judst a hiuge sharing plate of meat.

These are my intial thoughts.

Ribs: take up to much room and cost a bit much
    Pulled Pork: done it to death and want something a little more glam
    Meat platterossibility
    Huge florentine steaks to share with breads and salad.
    or a big beef brsiket or pork loin

What do you guys think, I need as many suggestions as possible.

Sam from Rustic Soul

If you feel up to the challenge... A really good brisket cook always impresses. Cook a Pork butt as backup or better yet serve both.

Florentine steak is awesome but does it really show off a smoker's capabilities?

You have access to high grade brisket?

Comment

I can get good brisket it has been on my list for a while actually . Is it that different from cooking the pork shoukder. ( obviously but any more difficult) I'll jump in the amazing ribs recipe page tonight and check it out.

Comment

If you haven't done a brisket, I wouldn't start with clients! I would do a cheap meat platter, ribs are too expensive to feed 15, but along with other food 2-3 racks would be fine. I would do a few racks of ribs, a pork shoulder, and some chickens. Some sausages would be good too if you have good ones.

Comment

fair call. maybe i should stick with what i know on this one. ribs, shoulder, sausages. i did big bob gibsons chicken with white sauce on the weekend. Tasty as. i was also thinking for the platter, i could whip out a big rib eye or two for peopl to share with some sausages and bbq wings.

Comment

Sausages are good appetizers, get several flavors and quite a few sauces, cut them up and let people sample. It would be really cool if you could get enough sauces to represent the major BBQ regions. Everyone here is either a Memphis or KC BBQ fan but every one who tries mustard sauce on my pork goes out and buys some.

Comment

rusticsoul , I agree with the "don't cook brisket for clients" if you haven'd done it before or don't have a lot of practice. How much are you looking to spend? I just did a cook on Good Friday for about 20 family members and spent $65 on the meat. That included a pack of large sausage links, 1ea 8lb Boston butt, 2 racks of St. Louis style ribs and 2 racks of baby backs, and finally 2 chickens. That was plenty and we had some left over for plates to be sent out. I would say that a good smoked butt never gets old. Smoked chicken is cheap and also really good. Good luck on entertaining the clients.
              Last edited by Gunderich_1; April 10, 2015, 04:37 PM.

Comment

So guys this is what I'm thinking after all your great comments and after some meat has come available . A big pork shoulder, my butcher has had one aging for a bit . A quater lamb which my mate got from his aunties farm with a delicious sauce I have made previously on lamb before it will basically be similar to pulled pork and look a little like the photo and a few homemade made Italian sausages, just because I can. I love these things. Also a bunch of sides etc

My mate makes these bloody amazing paninis so may throw the meat in there with some bbq sauce and an aioli

Thanks for everyone's input I think staying away from the brisket is a good idea I'll let you all know how I go next weekend.

Comment

Excellent. When performing for a crowd go with what you know

Comment

I'm not sure about aging pork though. Pork doesn't get better with time in my experience unless you're brining it.

Comment

Brisket is tricky. If you want to do beef I highly recommend chuck roast. It's nearly as good and it's far more forgiving.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
                        Powersmoke_80 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        JeffJ +1 on the Chuck Roast, brined and rubbed with BBB. Wrapped at 165 DONE TO 203 and rested for an hour or so. Pulled with sautéed onions peppers and cheese on Hawaiian rolls
                        Last edited by Powersmoke_80; April 11, 2015, 01:46 AM.

• JeffJ
                        JeffJ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Perfect! Sounds great. Hopefully you were able to snap a couple of pics.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here