Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my food still ok to eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ended up throwing out the pork and was very sad while doing it.

The ribs have now been sitting in my fridge for 9 days. They were cooked 72 hours at 133 and went from sitting in a sous vide bath to an ice bath to the fridge all while still vacuum sealed. Are they ok to cook tonight since they were pasteurized and remained sealed or is 9 days too long regardless of the rest? This is the first night I've felt well enough to actually cook them, so it wasn't going to happen earlier. Would hate to toss them, but would hate to get sick again even more. Nine days in the fridge since being cooked just sounds too long to me, so I turn to the wise men and women of the Pit for guidance.

Comment

Use your nose. If they still smell fresh when you open them they are fine.

Comment

I'm not sure anyone can say for sure. When in doubt, throw it out. Especially if you're still in a somewhat debilitated physical condition. Not worth the risk, IMO.

Kathryn

Comment

I personally think food safety should be Goal #1. and agree with those that say, when in doubt get rid of it. Especially if your body's immune system is re syncing per say. You likely have already made a decision by now. Our immune system can be a strong friend or it can be a horrible enemy against us if it gets into a loop cycle.

Comment

jumbo7676 - You still among the living?

Comment

• jumbo7676
              jumbo7676 commented
              Editing a comment
              Still here. Busy catching up at work.

• dubob
              dubob commented
              Editing a comment
              So the ribs were okay?

• jumbo7676
              jumbo7676 commented
              Editing a comment
              They were incredible.

If they had been cooked and then vacuum sealed, I would have tossed them without question. But the fact that the ribs were pasteurized and then never unsealed, I thought as long as there was no funky odor that I'd go ahead and dig in. Just rubbed, heated in the oven to bring up the internal temp, then seared. They were soooo good.

Comment

• dubob
              dubob commented
              Editing a comment
              Good deal! 👍

Now that I am here reading all of this, I realize that it is amazing that I am still alive and have never had food poisoning or anything. I have some brisket that has been in the fridge for around 10 days, and I heated some up last night and made a pretty fantastic sandwich. I have also had pulled pork that I thawed out in the fridge that sat because I was called out of town or something. Come home, heat it up, put it on a bun...

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Much the same this side on occasions. If it smells ok we eat it, but then again we like to believe Africa is not for sissies.
              The pit has put a a different spin on food safety for me almost to the extent of monomania.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              holehogg, since the like button is not back yet, I'll just type like. Now I am almost afraid to eat almost everything.

I'm glad the ribs did not turn out to be Last Meal Ribs, as in the last meal you'd have before the barfing commenced. Good to hear that they were fine, jumbo7676 , and that they were delicious.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here