Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Cheese Grits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Cheese Grits

I went to a small Barbecue Cook Off Competition this morning and tasted what was claimed as Smoked Cheese Grits. I admit they were good cheese grits but not much if any smoke. I watched them take them off there smoker in a tin pan but I think the smoke was only charcoal. Any idea about smoking grits? Don't say liquid smoke. The terrorist for shore win. I do have some smoked sea salt. Thoughts?

I guess you can place anything in the path of smoke, and thus called it "smoked." I would say the grits need to be really cold, and maybe spritzed a bit, to really bring the smoke to mouth.

Comment

I would think for a smoky flavor you'd smoke the cheese first and then add it to grits. Sounds like a yummy idea, Guy. I'll eat grits almost any way they're served.

Kathryn

Comment

Kathryn me too except without salt.

Comment

So I guess I can't smoke raw grits on a sheet pan and expect the smoke flavor to be there after they are cooked?
          fzxdoc I seem to remember you talking about smoked salt with someone a while back maybe Ernest. I brought some and still have it. How would that work in grits? I have never used the smoked salt.

Comment

Hmmm, Guy, I think Dr. Blonder says that for smoke to adhere, the surface should be cold and moist. That's why I was thinking that smoking cheese might work in cheese grits. I haven't smoked salt in my PBC, so can't comment on how much smokey flavor it brings to the table (or the grits, for that matter). Maybe someone else will chime in as well.

Kathryn

Comment

I agree with Kathryn. I think smoking the cheese will get you the best result. If you smoke dry grits the taste will be diluted a lot by the water (just me thinking things through I haven't made this)...

Comment

I think the same thing about smoking raw grits. Or at least that is the most probable thing, that the water will wash/cook away the smoke. I am going to wait and see if there is another genius among us but it looks like the cheese has it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here