Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lard and or gelatin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lard and or gelatin

So, the making of Bacon and rendering the skin gave me a luscious pot of gelatin. we weren't quite sure how to store it or use it and it went off. but, I am undaunted. I made a batch of very stiff gelatin in prep for my meat pies. I have begun to try to learn about gelatin and we will freeze what we have left from the meat pies and use it for soup & stew stocks as well as simple broths ready for reheat in the event of illness.

But, now I am into gelatin and looking for more uses.

Next, Since I make my sauce with the fond (and, of course, it will include additional gelatin, as well, though the Fond will have a good deal of gelatin as well. but, I wondered, if you put a few ounces of lard in your drip pan, would that result in a goodly batch of drippings for sauce making? Will the lard stand up and be able to carry the smoke for us? Or would the lard simply be a burnt off mistake? If it can be done to create a better sauce, then I can very easily put lard in the pan and freeze off some of the drippings for later sauces.

So, food science folks and pro chefs, what do you think?

I'm only familiar with Agar agar.

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      I have some Agar. I don't really care for it. doesn't give me the body I like. To each his own, I guess.

Karon... I suggest you go to Stellaculinary.com and ask that same exact question to Chef Jacob Burton. I'm confident that he has the skills and knowledge to guide you properly. His site is like the AR site, except it is all about skills and technique for your indoors kitchen, whether you are a beginner or a professional Chef. He will answer you personally and he is a professionally educated and trained Chef.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here