Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skimming Fat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skimming Fat

When I do big cuts of meat I always crutch and catch the juices so i can skim the fat off and pour the Au Jus over the sliced meat and vacuum seal it to freeze or store till next couple days and enjoy. But it SUX using a big spoon and slowly skim the fat. I thought i seen a reference to a tool that makes it easy to pour the fat off in one of Meathead's articles. Can anybody tell me what it is and possibly where to find it???

Good Morning!

The device is called a gravy separator. Here's a link to the one that I got.

Let BedBathandBeyond.com help you discover designer brands & home goods at the lowest prices online. With free shipping on EVERYTHING*. See for yourself why shoppers love our selection & award-winning customer service.

You can search all over the internet, amazon, etc. and find one that best suits your needs. Read the reviews as not all are created equal. They really work!

--Ed

Comment

Thanks Ed! Gravy seperator.... Allbedam! lol
      My name is Ed too

Comment

I ordered the 4 cup seperator. Thanks again Ed,!

Comment

• Medusa
          Medusa commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to help, Ed!

Good job getting the 4 cup. IMHO, a 2 cup version is way too small.

--Ed
          Last edited by Medusa; March 14, 2015, 11:56 AM.

Agreed, that is a very handy tool, do the same thing, save the juices and use to pack prior to freezing. At least in my mind, you are right on point...

Comment

Personally, I've always wanted a separatory funnel with a larger-than-normal aperture for this task. It would do a much better job than the gravy separators.

Comment

• Pit-for-Brains
            Pit-for-Brains commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks cool too, I have one coming already. Might be a bear to clean though.

• _Keith
            _Keith commented
            Editing a comment
            The problem is the size of the hole at the bottom. Any bits of stuff suspended in the liquid would clog it up in no time. It doesn't look like anyone actually makes what I want.
            Although it does occur to me that my son has a 3D printer...

If you pour the juices in a cup while the meat is resting or in a cambro you can use the refrigerator. The fat will solidify at the top, scrap it off and you be good by meal time.

I'm for multitasking gadgets, I had the separator (still have it) in my Amazon wish list. I just can't pull the trigger.
          Last edited by Ernest; March 16, 2015, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Ernest just closed your eyes and pull the trigger

$22.29 well spent hopefully.

Comment

Medusa Thanks for the link! I used it fri night and worked perfectly for me.

Comment

• Medusa
              Medusa commented
              Editing a comment
              You're quite welcome. Amazing how simple gadgets can 'git-er-done' and take $$ from you!

--Ed

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here