Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat Quantity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat Quantity

Good Day Folks,

Im just trying to get an idea of how much meat i would need for my daughters birthday party. We are looking at doing brisket and pulled pork, for 30 adults and 10 kids. There will be sides of coleslaw and mac and cheese.

what would you suggest for raw meat quantity? I am thinking of making sliders with the meat.

I'd go with about 40 lbs of uncooked weight. Figure 1 large brisket and 2 good-sized butts. You doing sammiches? That would be the way to go, put out buns and you'll cut down on your meat usage. I think that would be plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by tRidiot View Post
      I'd go with about 40 lbs of uncooked weight. Figure 1 large brisket and 2 good-sized butts. You doing sammiches? That would be the way to go, put out buns and you'll cut down on your meat usage. I think that would be plenty.
      Thanks man, just the info i need.

Comment

I would suggest 1/2lb raw weight per person. Then, you can adjust from there. If it's all teenage football players, maybe go 1lb raw weight per person, if it's all 10 yr olds, or grandma's bingo friends, perhaps adjust down to 1/4lb per person. The more sides you have, and if the meat will be sandwiches, will also of course affect how much meat you really need.

For more on this, check out Meathead's great article on Party Planning.

Comment

When doing sandwiches you can definitely go with less meat - bread fills people up. You’d be safe with one brisket and one shoulder, but I’d probably still do two shoulders - leftovers are always great!

Comment

1/2 pound all the way. Side note, for the kids, depending on age, buy hot dogs. You will not see 1 bite taken out of your brisket or pork then the rest get tossed. Kids will waste more than they eat...

Comment

If you’ve got the room do two butts with the brisket. Pulled pork leftovers are always great. Better to have extra than to run out.

I’ll second the the hot dog thing. Kids are picky and they are easy to throw on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here