Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke overload?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke overload?

I started smoking food last year. One odd thing I've noticed after I've tended to something in the smoker for hours, I don't necessarily enjoy the taste of the smoked food. The meat can be succulent and tender, and I can appreciate that, but my sense of tasted seems to go on strike. It purely sucks to cook a great meal and just pick at it while my friends and family devour the feast. The next day, the leftovers (if any!) taste wonderful.

Anyone else have this trouble? Any tips for getting over the "smoke overload" thing?

Seems a fair number of people experience that.

Comment

Yes, I caught myself adding more spice to my rubs trying to get the flavor I thought was missing. Sadly the best way for me to tell how well I've done is eating leftovers. On the positive side I get a great deal of satisfaction seeing and hearing the joy others get from a good meal I've prepared.

Comment

I cooked ribs this weekend and couldn't pick up any smoke flavor for some reason.

Comment

I think this issue is present whenever I cook a big meal. Holidays come to mind. At one of our gatherings I make fried chicken. By the time I'm done cooking all afternoon I don't have a big desire to eat a lot of what I've cooked. Leftovers taste great, but the day of the meal there is something less appealing about the food after I've cooked it. We just need to keep trying, right?

Comment

IowaGirl I have the same problem. Except for the picking at the food part! I see a lot on here mention it, and the consensus seems to be that if you are tending the smoker much, you are around the smell of the smoke enough to where you are desensitized to it, and cannot taste or smell it as much on the food by the time you've been smoking something for 6 to 18 hours. I always feel that the ribs or pulled pork or brisket are smokier as leftovers for the same reason as you.

Comment

I experience the same thing. I taste way more smoke flavor the next with the leftovers. Everything usually tastes great the day of, just not real smokey.

Comment

Well, it's good to hear my misery has company. But I hate to see others with the same trouble!

I smoked a slab of St Louis cut pork ribs this weekend (see photo) and was really disheartened when I sampled the ribs right after they were done. They didn't taste right -- to the point I wasn't sure I wanted to try them again the next day. Glad I talked myself into trying them again -- they were tasty. Which got me to wondering if others had similar experiences.

edit: I should explain this picture -- I split the St L ribs into two strips and I cobbled together a way to hang the ribs from one of the grates in my LP cabinet smoker. I realized the strips were too long, so I had to hang the short cut-off pieces from a third hook. Then let the ribs drip onto the chip pan to char and smoke. After a few hours, the beans went under the ribs. I propped the pot on some small branches so the beans wouldn't burn.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by IowaGirl; April 22, 2019, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Take a shower.
                I mean really. Take a shower after your cook. For whatever reason it helps. I too have/had the same problem and found taking a shower after a long cook, I guess washes off the smoke that your covered in and really makes a difference.
                Give it a try next cook. See if it works for you.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good to hear you get a few showers in each month. LOL

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Spinaker you’re too funny. 🤣
                  At least I don’t have to worry about washing my hair like you do. All 37 strands of mine take on very little smoke. 😁😁

• Bumby
                  Bumby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I completely agree! On smoke days I don't shower until about 45 minutes before people show up. And when I get dressed, I change into a completely new (i.e., clean) outfit.

I thought it was just me! After cooking all day, I can't eat much at all and the taste is just okay. People just say, "Well you've been tasting too much." When I say no, I don't do that they smile and say, yah right wink, wink.
                Good to know I’m not as weird and I thought! Well maybe I am just in other ways

Comment

My Grandmother used to say this about regular cooking, particularly things like roasts that took a long time.

Comment

Interesting post. I seem to be able to eat 24/7!! I think this was discussed a year or two ago.

Comment

• IowaGirl
                      IowaGirl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What was discussed a year or two ago, Skip? You mean your 24/7 eating?

I have the same problem. I always shower after I am done cooking. That seems to help a lot. My hair is generally the worst, once I give it a good wash, then I am fine.

Comment

I have the same problem, especially when using my KBQ. I taste very little smoke after tending to it all day. When using my Traeger ( set and forget ) I get a better taste profile. I've seen on another post to take a shower after cooking, haven't tried it yet as I'm eager to eat. Interesting post, thanks for bringing this up.

Comment

I throw the food in the cambro, clean everything up and then give a nice, cold shower. That seems to help a lot. Gotta make sure I wash my hair too, it seems to suck up a ton of smoke. LOL.

The KBQ especially pushes me to shower afterwards. I am all hot and sweaty when I am cooking with it anyway, so even with out the smoke over load, I would need a rinse anyway. In some cases, the lake might be a better option.

Comment

• IowaGirl
                          IowaGirl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I seem to recall your hair is quite a bit shorter than mine. I know mine reeks afterwards!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here