Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat calculator from MIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat calculator from MIT

Hmmm.

They need F instead of C 🤪

how in in the world did you come across this?

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Popped up in a news feed.

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      They have a button you can push to get F instead of C. It is in the top right corner.

Cool

Comment

Originally posted by Sfdrew28 View Post
      They need F instead of C 🤪

how in in the world did you come across this?
      Look in the upper right hand corner. You can select C or F

Comment

Much easier to use the Thermapen.

Comment

That is neat, and there is a button upper right that changes temps to F. However, I can't see getting that much control of cookin' temps in any type of grill or smoker. Gas maybe, but I can't speak to gas.

BTW - 4 cm is just over 1.5".

Comment

If I said C is good to go I guess I'd be in the minority

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            The minority is growing!!

Created by: MIT students Kate Roe, Laura Breiman, and Marissa Stephens

Advised by: Rob Miller, Fredo Durand, Michael Brenner, and Pia Sorenson

Developed for the 2013 edX course Science and Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science. It demonstrates the heat diffusion through meat over time. This heat diffusion is calculated by modeling the meat using the diffusion constant of water. The heat at each point in the meat is calculated at each time step by using a Crank-Nicolson scheme to solve the heat equation.

The temperatures for the different stages of protein denaturization come from Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen (pages 152 and 210). It is important to note, however, that these temperatures are estimates and not completely universal. This simulation is not a perfect model for cooking actual meat. Stove temperatures, pan types, and meat consistency are variable from case to case. Please be certain to check that your meat is thoroughly cooked before consumption unless you enjoy getting food posioning.

Please send questions and comments to [email protected]
          Also, learned about cryo-frying, which is an insane thing I will never do, but would like to eat some day.

Comment

Thermapen is still the best method. As the article mentions above. But this might be helpful in planning out cooks for the future to give you a ball park shot of how much time you need.

"It is important to note, however, that these temperatures are estimates and not completely universal. This simulation is not a perfect model for cooking actual meat. Stove temperatures, pan types, and meat consistency are variable from case to case. Please be certain to check that your meat is thoroughly cooked before consumption unless you enjoy getting food posioning."

Comment

Quickie conversions
              C to F. Double C and add 30. (20C x 2 =40). 40 + 30 = 70F approximately
              F to C. Subtract 30 and divide remainder by 2 (90F - 30 = 60) 60/2 = 30C approximately

multiplier/ divisor is actually 1.8 but 2 gets you close.
              Last edited by Donw; January 4, 2019, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                I just Google the calculator it pops up as soon as I type F. Have a lot of temps converted in memory already.

The irony lies in the final conclusion that results vary according to a host of environmental factors. I enjoyed working a lot with fire environment modelling programs, but the biggest danger with any models is the 'ol "garbage in, garbage out", or worse "garbage in, policy-making out". They can be very useful tools when used objectively, but are susceptible to reverse engineering to justify a certain outcome. Caveat emptor.

It reminds me of a recent study by a prominent California state university that looked at the correlation of vehicle vs wildlife accidents on highways in wooded areas. Their conclusion was that you are more likely to crash into a deer or bear in a rural wooded area than anywhere else. I can't remember what they titled it, but I call it the "Duh! Study". They had nice charts and graphs too.
              Last edited by CaptainMike; January 4, 2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Steak, tuna and turkey are all those egg heads cook?

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They are obviously not members of the AR community.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here