Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tasso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tasso

Anybody made tasso? (I'm making some from rib tips.) If so how long did you smoke it and at what temp?

I haven't made any in a couple of years, but the last time I used an electric cold smoker (Little Chief) for many hours. I'll see if I can find the recipe.

Comment

There's a recipe elsewhere on this site, here:

I am going to try this as soon as our company heads back to their homes - you really cannot buy decent Tasso anywhere. I have an itch for some good red beans and

DEW

Comment

Thanks Dew. Definitely going to try this version in the future.

I actually got busy eating sous vide steak and drinking wine with the Mrs. and forgot about the tasso smoking in the garage. One of the drawbacks of a cookshack is you don't have to do anything once you put the stuff in! Guess I need to buy one of the new thermoworks timers that lets you set timers for multiple items. Since hitting 50 my CRS has definitely accelerated every year since!

I had the tasso in the smoker at 225 for about 6 hours before I remembered it was quietly cooking away in the garage. I think it turned out just about right considering I have no idea what it's supposed to be like. The bottom rack was a bit more well done than the top rack, but mixing the two should give a nice contrast when added to a dish. All of it is cooked through, has a nice depth of smoke flavor, and will make a nice tasty nugget in some ham and beans or red beans and rice.

Comment

Mine tends to be like thicker chunks of jerky, but not totally chewy and dried through. I guess you would call it slowly smoke cured.

I either dice it up when I want the flavor throughout a dish, or just throw a chunk whole into a pot of jambalaya where it seasons the whole pot, but the chunk is still intact to break up for those that want to get the full effect and flavor. It tends to be too hot for some folks.

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds pretty tasty Bruce. Did you ever find your recipe?

• BruceB
            BruceB commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL ! Funny you should ask. That search created a huge mess here. I found my wife has a 4" thick notebook that's full, almost a whole drawer of a lateral file cabinet with folders of recipes, her old recipe box stuffed with cards, and thousand of recipes on her laptop.

Do you think ANY of those was my personalized tasso recipe? Not that I have found so far !!! But still searching.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here