Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Always take notes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N227GB
    commented on 's reply
    Looking at Paprika 3 now... interesting!

• Fire Art
    commented on 's reply
    Wow it’s all clear now.

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    The only things I've taken real notes on are: 1) the Thanksgiving turkey, 2) fresh ham, 3) random notes on SVQ. That's a heavy enough cognitive load for me!

• jecucolo
    commented on 's reply
    I’m a big google drive person. Copy-Create-Paste-Done

• Skip
    replied
    I keep lots of notes. Maybe too many? Nice to have especially when learning a new technique like Sous Vide.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    I find that I do keep small notes on my Fireboard sessions but rarely go back and look at them. I am a recipe horder though, I really like the app called Paprika 3, super easy to copy interweb recipes and organize them. Other than that it's a lot of seat of the pants remembering.

Leave a comment:

• gcdmd
    replied
    Agreed. I keep a culinary journal and record even small things, like a slight change in oven temperature or duration of roasting or baking. When smoking a record of ambient temperature is also valuable.

Leave a comment:

• N227GB
    replied
    I keep all my recipes in Google Drive. Any notes or variations are added in a different color font. This allows me to keep track of various changes as I go along. If somethings comes out not as good as expected, I have a point I can go back to. It's easy to add pictures, links back to the original online author of the recipe.

I also copy and paste a list of ingredients into Google Keep and have a checklist I can tick off on my phone when at the store.

This smartphone thing is going to be popular.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Well said. The same bottle of wine at home is nothing like at that nice restaurant on anniversary night with the king filet and lobster tail. I'm rarely as impressed with my brisket as my guests, after I've run my smoker all day, but the next day reheated it's amazing! So many variables.

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    The problem with notes... many food items have great variability, either from season to season or item to item even. Those summer tomatoes from the farmer's market may make the best sauce, but you won't be able to make it as good with tomatoes harvested a couple weeks later, or different varietals. Slight temperature variations change proofing times, yeast activity, and more, so the same bread may come out differently based on seasons, even if the process is replicated to the letter.

And that's before the context of tasting comes into play. My wine palate has a great deal of variability from year to year. I notice certain things taste better or different on different days. Just consider how some food tastes smokier the next day, because you were outside with the smoker the day you cooked it, and your sense of smoke is, for lack of a better word, smoked on the day of service. You have a shower and a sleep, and that pork butt leftover tastes smokier.

I like taking notes, but I have come to accept that everything I make is context dependent to a greater or lesser degree, and each meal is to be enjoyed for itself and likely never repeated.

Of course, if you use nothing but processed foods in your cooking, you will have much less variation. But variance is the spice of (statistical) life.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Amen. My wife made an awesome marinara sauce once, better than Prego (and I love Prego traditional, could drink it) and didn't write it down. She hasn't been able to duplicate it since.

Leave a comment:

• Fire Art
    replied
    Taking notes not going to happen

Leave a comment:

• Red Man
    replied
    I do stuff like that all the time...no measurements, either no recipe or I alter the recipe, and I can’t replicate it next time. I don’t even remember all the things that turned out really well, oftentimes they’re just experiments. I definitely need to take notes.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    I just took a note...

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here