Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Thanksgiving Prime Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Thanksgiving Prime Time!

With a big family, we are now typically doing 2-part major holidays. This weekend, my parents and my wife's mom and stepdad came down to Atlanta for our second Thanksgiving/my birthday celebration. With enough people around to justify it, I special ordered a 5-bone prime rib roast from my local butcher shop for the festivities. This was an absolutely beautiful piece of meat, so less was going to be more. On Friday, I trimmed it up and dry brined over night in the fridge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (2).jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	600800Click image for larger version

Name:	image2 (1).jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	600801

I trimmed off the ribs with meat attached for smoking another time, trimmed up the fat cap and tied in a uniform shape with butcher twine. I made a dry rub with fresh ground black pepper, fresh ground coriander, dry mustard, dried rosemary, dried thyme, dried oregano, garlic powder and onion powder. I set the smoker at 225 and let it go until we got to 115 internal temp. Once we hit 115, I switched him over to the charcoal Weber for a nice hot sear to build a nice crust. It seared for about 5 minutes per side to get a gorgeous outer bark and it brought the internal temp up to ~130 when I took it off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image2 (2).jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	600802Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3944.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	600803Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	600804

To serve, I made a traditional horseradish sauce and a red wine reduction sauce. You really should try the red wine sauce!

1.5 cups red wine
    2 bay leaves
    5 stems fresh thyme
    1 clove smashed garlic
    Bring to a simmer for ~10 minutes until liquid reduced by half
    Add 1/2 cup beef demi glace
    1 teaspoon of your dry rub
    simmer for 3 minutes
    take off heat, melt in 2 Tablespoons butter and fresh chopped chives

Holy $hit!

Enjoy

Spectacular cook! And thanks for the red wine reduction recipe. I love stuff like that with the PR. I am making big PR for Christmas this year, so a reduction is in order.

Comment

• pmorse36
      pmorse36 commented
      Editing a comment
      You won't be disappointed! It actually was thick enough to stand up to the garlic mashed taters we did along with the PR. Really complimented the horseradish sauce as well. Enjoy!

Very nice!

Comment

Killer

Comment

Sounds great. Going to try that wine reduction. Thanks.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          You and me both!

• pmorse36
          pmorse36 commented
          Editing a comment
          Your avatar is amazing

That looks so professional! Delicious! I saved your red wine sauce recipe - sounds great. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks guys! The sauce recipe comes from Tuffy Stone’s book "Cool Smoke". I love mixing and matching his recipes with MeatHead’s to find something that’s the best of both worlds. For example, I used his fennel pollen rub with MeatHead’s cooking method for my first Thanksgiving Turkey and it was a marriage made in heaven! Y’all should check it out if you are interested in elevated twists on smoking meats.

Comment

Top notch cook!

Comment

Absolutely perfect. One of the best looking Prime Ribs I’ve seen. I’m also gonna try the red wine sauce in addition to an au jus. Thanks for sharing brother.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here