Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Smoking Gun. Stickburners, it might be best if you skip this one ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Smoking Gun. Stickburners, it might be best if you skip this one ;)

In an effort to educate myself on everything and not dismiss something outright, I figured I would get some feedback here.
    I kept seeing a machine on cooking shows that people use for imparting some smokiness, as far as I can tell this is it right here, it is called the smoking gun.

So we have a few things going here, we know smoke is yummy, we know it is easy to get dirty smoke, we know that most of all of the flavor is imparted very early, and we know that smoke is primarily a surface thing. So, ideally we would have some way to precisely control the temperature of the wood we were burning so we had all good smoke and no bad, and we only expose the meat to the smoke how we want and for as long as we want. Would this not do just that?

Has anybody ever tested one or tasted the results? The video shows them doing it after the meat was cooked, though we know it should be done before.

A lot of people would reject it outright, but if you think about it is it really any different than A-Maze-N tubes, or wood pouches?

I'm going to go duck behind this desk just in case

I just got one for Christmas. Got sick after Christmas so I have not tried it aside from smoking an ice cube last night for my scotch. I was planning on using it for smoking veggies that are cooked inside, or anything that comes off my gasser when I don't want to mess with a smoke box/pouch.

the other thing I'm excited to try with it is smoking herbs with it, although these may get too intense quickly.

I did experience it recently at a restaurant however. The main course was Steelhead and they brought it to the table covered by an 18 inch dome filled with smoke. It didn't add much smoke flavor, but with Steelhead you wouldn't want much. The presentation was spectacular however.

Comment

That's pretty cool. Update us when you get a chance to use it, curious how well it works. I think nuts and cheese it would do well with, and as you mentioned anything inside. If I had a gasser or pellet I might consider it too, glad somebody has one.

Comment

Originally posted by OGMrWhite View Post
        I have not tried it aside from smoking an ice cube last night for my scotch.
        Now that sounds pretty tasty, OGMW. I wonder if adding a smoked ice cube to my glass of Laphroig is going to push that smoky flavor over the edge.

How did you like the flavor of that smoked cube in your scotch?

Kathryn

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          As my father says, "never dirty up good scotch with ice."

Cold smoking is definitely the place for the Smoke Pistol! I confess, I've had one up in my closet for years -- Smoke Pistol is a pellet customer (yep, there's pellets in the ammo!). Other than producing smoke, there's no similarity between the Smoke Pistol or the A-Maze-N devices, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by CandySueQ View Post
          Cold smoking is definitely the place for the Smoke Pistol! I confess, I've had one up in my closet for years -- Smoke Pistol is a pellet customer (yep, there's pellets in the ammo!). Other than producing smoke, there's no similarity between the Smoke Pistol or the A-Maze-N devices, IMO.
          The smoke pistol and the smoking gun are two different pieces of equipment. The smoking gun is battery operated and you load a pinch of sawdust to the chamber, light with a lighter and turn on a fan the blows the smoke through a tube into whatever vessel you have your food/beverage in. I have one, but have only used it sparingly. Truth is, I get too involved and forget I have it, so I haven't used it like I should. I need to set it out where I'll see it as a reminder! I've used it on a steak that was cooked sous vide, but to use it you have to put it under something to trap the smoke after you've cooked the item. If you had a nice sear on a steak and cover it on a plate with saran wrap you tend to lose the dry crusty sear due to the steam generated by the steak while it's setting under the plastic wrap. The browned meat is still there, but it's not dry like it is coming right out of the pan or off the heat. Did a salted boneless skinless chicken breast and it did an ok job. It adds a smoke flavoring, but not the same as something coming off the charcoal.

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you try it on a piece while it is dry brining? That is where I would think it would be great.

John, it is not meant for food before it's cooked. The smoke flavor would be gone after exposure to heat. I'm going to try smoking some Bloody Mary mix in the near future 😊.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post

Now that sounds pretty tasty, OGMW. I wonder if adding a smoked ice cube to my glass of Laphroig is going to push that smoky flavor over the edge.

How did you like the flavor of that smoked cube in your scotch?

Kathryn

lIt was really nice, just a hint of smoke since I only gave it a few minutes. What I want to do, and perhaps I will tonight, is melt some cubes in a snap lid container full of smoke, then re-freeze the cubes for my cocktail (like Meatheads smoked ice method). This way I don't get any of the charcoal smoke or meat flavor in the ice.

Comment

Here is a link to the poly science folks website. They developed it and have some suggested recipes on the site - http://www.polyscienceculinary.com/the-smoking-gun.php

Comment

Originally posted by OGMrWhite View Post

lIt was really nice, just a hint of smoke since I only gave it a few minutes. What I want to do, and perhaps I will tonight, is melt some cubes in a snap lid container full of smoke, then re-freeze the cubes for my cocktail (like Meatheads smoked ice method). This way I don't get any of the charcoal smoke or meat flavor in the ice.
                There are some really excellent smoked bouron recipes and You Tube vids out there using this(or similar) device. Literally pumping smoke through a pitcher of bourbon and then making drinks with it. For what it's worth, it looked very intriquing to me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here