Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wok this way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wear an oven mit on my left hand, even with the wood handle. The short CS portion of the handle that connects wood to pan gets hot and I felt it a bit first time I used it. And it was one of the "bad ratings" someone gave it....🤦🏼‍♂️

but, the tips the last few post have been great. especially the middle of the oil for the meat first. I haven’t had issues with sticking, except with some of the sauce, but another tip - to wipe out the wok after each batch is something I didn’t do when I made the beef with broccoli and I think I have some burnt on sauce. And maybe some oil splatter that baked on near the very top. Otherwise, I’ve had some great cooks thus far.

Comment

I don’t know if I mentioned this before, but Grace Young suggests that when you first put meat in, to let it sit for 30 seconds before stirring to start browning process. A compensation if you do not have turbo heat.

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        I still do that even without using full turbo heat. I find that for meat, moving it without letting the edge touching the pan get hot can become a mess.

Okay, my wok finally came today. My seasoning looks mediocre and there are probably issues with heat transfer from my electric cook surface.

Here's the wok out of the box and thoroughly washed with soap and water, drying on cooktop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-01-12 14.42.43.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	973037

I had intended to season with peanut oil (Wok Shop was out of their small bottles of flaxseed oil when I ordered), but the bottle of peanut oil we bought was vaguely cloudy when I took a closer look, so I decided it wasn't refined well enough to be high smoke point. I went with canola oil and 45 minutes in the oven at 450.

I don't like that the color is so splotchy, I hope things even out over time:

Name:	2021-01-12 15.33.54-1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	973038

And the curse of the electric cook top may drive me insane yet. I then moved on to cooking an onion "until charred" as the instructions suggest. This took at least 15 minutes and maybe closer to 20 to get to this point. I was using my IR gun several times through the cook. I got the oil surface to over 300 before putting the onion in, but things stayed in the 240 range for a long time, even with lots of stirring around. The gun may well have been fooled by the vapor cooking out of the onions. So mid-cook I moved the onion to one side and let the oil heat 30 seconds or so on its own and it read about 350 again. I cooked until vapor stopped coming off and the oil finally reached its smoke point over 400.

Pulling the wok off and reading the burner top showed about 750 or so. I'm worried that I just don't have anything like the sort of heat transfer rate that will do this wok justice. How long should it take to get an onion to this stage?

Name:	2021-01-12 15.56.46-1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	973039

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        First off, that thing is beeeeeauuuutiiiiifil! Second don’t be so picky on the seasoning thing, just do it. Thirdly don’t worry about the lectrickety of the matters, heat is heat. Enjoy it & the food ya cook with it. Fantastic man. 👍👍👍

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much, FireMan. I still must admit to being jealous of your setup for the massive number of BTU's you can crank into your woks. I always look forward to those cooks from you.

And here is the first cook. Some chicken with bok choy and carrots. It will take some time to get used to this wok compared to my old Anolon nonstick wok. The old one had a larger flat area, so there was more room for cooking in it. But at least this came out really well.

Name:	2021-01-12 18.23.37.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	973093

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here