Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wok this way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wok this way.

There was a little mention of cooking with a wok on the pod cast. Just thought I’d toss in my 1 & a 1/2 cents into the fray. Cast Iron was mentioned, it is not good for Chinese stir fry. A desired wok is carbon steel. It gets hot fast & cools fast, which you want. There is some explaining but this is not a book.
    Yes, the "pounded" wok is more chic than needed. Stir fry is exacting but not exotic. Good woks are cheap. They will last maybe as long as CI, if taken care of. You care for a CS wok just like you do a CI skillet. Season it the same, clean it the same (no soap) & dry it the same (a little heat). If one doesn’t use it frequently the wok should have a little oil on it same as CI. One of my woks I never oil due to frequent use as is my Stargazer 10.
    It was interesting that Spinaker mentioned the BGE being good for wok cooking. There was an article that I read awhile back where Chinese/Asian nfluence in cookers ala BGE/Kamado. In the article was mention clay pots, which were designed hunerts of years ago (I can’t help myself some times, it’s the thumbs), maybe even a thousand or more, don’t know. Anyways, I just cooked last night on my little wok oven. Yes it gets hot! And I am starting to use it all the time, rather than cook inside, due to the smoke & settin off the alarms & turning the apt. blue.
    l picked my it up at The Wok Shop out of San Francisco (where everybody thinks they’re heavy business).
    Ther is something called Wok Hey, the essence or flavor of a wok. My wife responded that when I do veggies in the wok, they taste almost like they were smoked. That is a subject for another time.
    Some pics of the oven:
    Attached Files

My thumbs again! Click image for larger version

Name:	F2C3CE2E-40C2-4ED0-9543-700CCC2E7F13.jpeg
Views:	601
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	474807Click image for larger version

Name:	101B9F96-5C0B-4876-99EA-A9A37E90B4A4.jpeg
Views:	616
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	474808Click image for larger version

Name:	C73BC54D-3372-4312-ADB3-21AA454D02F0.jpeg
Views:	635
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	474809Click image for larger version

Name:	B66D8831-5E8A-4B93-B714-067D8B44C2A9.jpeg
Views:	601
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	474811Click image for larger version

Name:	F1BF4E37-CC92-438A-8A85-68CAD81C65CD.jpeg
Views:	630
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	474810Click image for larger version

Name:	08C2008F-7B20-4F7C-8B39-B8B86E8BF559.jpeg
Views:	628
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	474812

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      So, FireMan, are you placing lit coals on top of unlit coals, as your pictures seem to indicate?

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thunder77 , sorry I missed your question. The coals are just as they are, get em started, Put em in.

Nice lookin' wok! and boc choy maybe?

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve written my name witha a whiz but never tried typin’ , jus dont have that kinda control....

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones, you'd type even faster if you were a Typin Wiz.....

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      CN, catchin' up?

Yo FireMan, would like to see a side view of your
    little wok oven. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Very Cool, Brother!
        Great post, food, an pics!
        Nice to see somebody besides my dang self 'matchsticks' some o th veggies!

Comment

Very cool looking wok cooker ya got there. I like it.
          Also like the idea of using that pretty much on top of wood mulch. 🤔😬

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Shush, don’t tell anybody.

Side view: Click image for larger version

Name:	3355C8E5-A1B3-4D16-9D1B-AE7C440E259D.jpeg
Views:	611
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	474860

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool!

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Has me thinking my new Hunsaker vortex basket would likely work really well for this!

Here’s somethin else I did last night for grab & go leftovers. Click image for larger version

Name:	93FFCFC2-114F-4B2B-B0BC-9CDCE5024B23.jpeg
Views:	609
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	474875

Comment

Very Cool, thanks for Sharing.

Comment

Really nice share FireMan. I have a hand hammered carbon steel wok I bought in some Chinese market in the 80s for like $15. They claim the rough upper surface holds the food up out of the cooking oil if need be. Anyway the handle finally rotted and fell off so I pitched it. Will definitely be buying another. Also going to look for one of them there fancy clay pots!!

Thanks again for sharing. Wok cooking has been in my repitoire for years. High heat is definitely the trick to proper wok cooking.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup on the high heat, which is easy with that oven. Can’t say I’ve seen it anywhere else than the Wok Shop, plus the lady who owns the shop is an absolute delight to work with.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                We have a huge Chinese population in Houston. We go to the Asian stores on a regular basis. They sell all kinds of different implements for cooking. I want to check it out to see if I can find one.

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Must be nice. Chinese market is over an hour away. A couple Vietnamese mkts. are 45 min.

Very neat.

Comment

I’m still looking for the best wok setup. My chimney idea works but I don’t have any comparative data. My current rig (60,000Btu burner) will take a cold wok to 600F in 60 seconds. Would be nice to compare with what you get on your neat stove.

Comment

Love the wok oven FireMan and nice cook! I had a carbon steel wok years ago. I bought from a as seen on tv ad from Wally the Wok Guy! It was the best wok ever and I for the life of me can't figure out whatever happened to it. I haven't had a wok since. I've considered the Lodge CI wok because if I remove the grates on my Santa Maria cooker the wok will sit on the rails and I can cook on it using the wood fire. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Love the Chinaman food though!

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have cast iron and carbon steel woks. I prefer to use my cast iron woks, every time.

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    On an underpowered indoor burner you can load up a CI wok with tons of heat, do a small batch, wipe it out, and load it up with heat again for the next batch. Tedious but works better when the cooktop can’t sufficiently power a carbon wok to keep it hot.
                    Last edited by Polarbear777; April 2, 2018, 07:02 PM.

• Thunder77
                    Thunder77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My neighbors, who wok outside a lot in the warmer months, use a cast iron wok. I like my carbon steel one better. I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

Polarbear777 in all due respect, when a couple of little Chinese fellas, maybe it was gals I don’t know, designed the clay pot centuries ago, they didn’t have the Binford 8000 BTU mega flame thrower. They just wanted something that could burn charcoal or wood & be hot. They also didn’t know what data was & dragsters had yet to be invented. Hence, 0 to 100 mph was irrelevant.
                  I forgot to mention that the pot burns coal or wood. So there, for you stick burners, eh, eh, eh. 😎

Comment

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Recovery time is a big factor when doing lots of food in batches. That’s why I asked. I’d love to get a setup that is only coal or wood that is fast enough

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Woks are not designed to be "loaded up", but cooked in small batches. If you have a large amount such as I did with the chicken I didn’t show a pic of, 5 boneless thighs, I cooked in two batches. It is recommended to cook no more than 12oz at a time for proper cooking. The wok looks big but is not designed to fill up.

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Right but I get impatient between small batches waiting for the reheat, so that’s why I asked. I use a 16” outside not because I fill it but because the extra width keeps me from dropping stuff as it gets slinged around.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here