Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wok this way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle Bob
    replied
    @fzxdoc looking forward to your method on the WSCGC. A 14" fits the GBS grate fine, I've done that, but I was using my Santa Maria attachment to fiddle with heat adjustment. With a fixed height, fire to grate, you'll have to just be active with the stir/flip tools. Not too difficult for someone with your skills.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco stir fry 06.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	971032

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    I like that plan, prepping early in the day. Maybe that will make me feel less sorry for myself cooking supper while hubby is still comfortably ensconced in his easy chair polishing off his evening cocktail.

K.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Awww, you noticed.

Kathryn

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    Don't rush the seasoning process. I have the 35 year old round bottom wok from China that I use outside. It's black as black can be and very non-stick.

I wanted something a little nicer looking, with a flat bottom, that I could use indoors so I treated my self to a new a new carbon steel wok for Christmas and have been doing repeat seasonings for the last couple of weeks.

I think I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing what you cook with it.

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    I haven’t done any investigatin. But, Kathryn, ya say a $35 wok is $60 on Amazon? Hmmm, mebbee free shipping ...............

• Dadof3Illinois
    commented on 's reply
    My wife bought me a wok and ring for Christmas. Plan on using it with my camp chef 3 burner stove.

• Huskee
    replied
    Congrats! Wish I had the gumption to get into woking that way. Sum dae, just naught rite nau.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    I really enjoy cookin' with a wok. I've been toying with the idea of getting a gas burner for out door use with the wok.

One thing I really like is prepping everything early in the day and then taking a break so that it seems like I'm only spending 15 to 20 minutes fixin' supper.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Fantastic, fzxdoc ! I’m rilly excited fer ya. Can’t wait to see,what ya stir up, pun definitely intended. Double cool!
    Last edited by FireMan; January 8, 2021, 08:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    replied
    Congrats, fzxdoc and welcome back from wherever you disappeared to for 3 weeks 😁. You are going to love your new wok.

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    Just ordered a carbon steel wok, ring, lid, and utensils from them. But I'm 60 miles away so shipping was reasonable. Heard about them before, but when they were mentioned in "The Breath of a Wok" I went ahead with the order.

• Jim White
    commented on 's reply
    My wok from the Wok Shop is supposed to arrive Monday. I went with flat bottomed hand hammered carbon steel with two steel loop handles. Yes, the shipping doubled the $25 price, but as you said, at least it's a mom and pop shop. There was also a delay in shipping; I ordered 12/28 and it shipped yesterday.

• barelfly
    commented on 's reply
    I also was going to go Wok Shop, but the shipping almost doubled the cost. I did get some utensils from the Wok shop as a gift though. I’m sure the shipping wasn’t cheap for them.

But enjoy! I’ve had fun with the wok this week!

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    Looks like a great set up. Only reason I went with the one I did was the recommendation from Serious Eats. Good luck with it!

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Lots of folks seem to have received/purchased woks for Xmas. I'm seeing a lot of wok action on the SUWYC topic lately.

I'm on the leading edge of pulling the trigger on a US-made wok from the Wok Shop. Only hitch is that shipping is half as much as the wok set I'm considering. Quite a pill to swallow when I look at Prime shipping from Amazon for some of their woks. But this one has everything I'm looking for: flat bottom; 14 gauge carbon steel. Welded handles (wooden main handle and assist handle) so the entire inside of the wok is smooth without rivets (for what that's worth), 14 inch; comes in a package deal with lots of other goodies.

Typing this up, I've almost convinced myself to go for it.

OK. I just did convince myself. I'm going with this Holiday Special Package for $89.50 including shipping. The wok itself sells for $35 which was less expensive than the similarly-featured woks on Amazon selling for $60. That helped with the rationalization, along with the fact that I'd rather deal with a Mom/Pop vendor than Amazon for things like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	holiday_special.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	970661

I'm excited! Happy belated Xmas to me. It's going to be fun using this with my Camp Chef Somerset IV outdoor gas range or with the Gourmet System (hole in the center) grate on my WSCGC.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here